Hey CB folks. I run a small-medium sized auditorium for the college I work at. I need to start looking into replacing our almost 20 y/o sound system as I am starting to get distortion in the low end of some of our speakers. There are other factors involved, too. The speakers going just gives me a good place to start having conversations with my boss.
There are two main scenarios I am looking at. First is replacing what I've got with something similar: a standard stereo with center fill + sub PA system. The second is a surround sound system to make the auditorium more versatile. The student government advisor has displayed interest in getting the auditorium upgraded to do afternoon screenings for the students and he may be able to get our SGA to put some money into the necessary upgrades.
Here are some details about the auditorium as it is right now:
* Two Bose Panaray 502 A's for front left and right (suspended)
* One Bose Panaray 502 B for front sub (suspended next to front right; pointing into drop ceiling/catwalk :-/ )
* Three Bose Panaray 802 Series II's for rear left/center/right (suspended; wired in mono :-/ )
* One each Bose 802C-II and 502C system controller/processor
* Two Crown Macro-Tech 1200's and one Crown D-150A Series II power amps
* dbx iEQ-31 and I think a Peavey EQ of some kind for what I'm guessing room correction/tuning?
* Allen & Heath GL2800-32 FOH mixing console (fairly new, not looking to replace it)
* Fairly high drop ceiling (1.5-2 floors high at the tallest in FOH)
* Six sections of permanent seating: front left/center/right and rear left/center/right
* Seats about 800-850 with permanent seating; fairly evenly distributed among sections
* Can seat 1,001 with temporary seats
* Two temporary walls to convert the rear left and right sections to decent size class/lecture/meeting/presentation rooms
* No mounted/installed projector or projection booth setup; all ad hoc right now with projector set in orchestra pit as needed (looking into this as a separate project but may need to combine this and lighting into a total upgrade project)
* Auditorium is acoustically treated; have been told that the auditorium has great acoustics just needs a system to complement it
Any setup would have to have to be multipurpose and have excellent performance with live acoustic bands. We have a few major bluegrass/country events through the year and several dance recital/theater type events. We also have a middle school that does their choir productions in our auditorium.
Mainly looking for rough price ranges and downtime estimates. I'd install everything myself, but without any rigging experience the only thing I would feel comfortable doing would be the wiring and installation of the rack gear. The actual speakers I would prefer to be installed professionally so they are done safely and correctly.
I am going to have a professional come out and do a walk-through with me to get an idea of what it's going to take/what I need.
I can give more details or clarification if you need it.
Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated! :-)