54x3w led vs 7x10w led which will show brighter?

John Noah

I know this isn't apples to apples and using a showroom would be the best determining factor (I don't have access to one because the lights are generic or chineese ), but in theory, which should appear brighter or throw further, they both come out to about the same price.

54x3 = 162W. 7x10 = 70W. In theory the 54x3 should be brighter. In reality these are just max wattage ratings for the LEDs themselves, and don't actually reflect how hard the fixture drives them. If they have a power consumption spec that might give a better clue also. The 54x3 could also have thermal throttling, they might drive a single color at 54W, but not all at the same time. There's also the optical efficiency to consider, and also the efficiency of the LED emitters themselves, along with the driver efficiency.

It's a gamble.

The rated wattage of LED fixtures is commonly mis-stated, inaccurate and may not have any bearing on light output. Many folks just add up the emitters and multiply by their respective (maximum) power use . . . but this is incorrect and wrong. To maintain emitter life and output, many reputable manufacturers "under drive" emitters, or supply them with current under their maximum ratings. In addition, power supplies which convert are inherently inefficient and the cheaper the light the more inefficient. We shouldn't ever be comparing watts anymore, rather light out put in Lumens or fc delivered at a specific distance. Long winded, but I agree with:
They're so cheap I would just buy one of each and try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back