Advise buying my first DMX controller and RGB LED par

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to lighting (my day job is embedded software engineering, so I'm just an amateur).

My wife is preparing a play and I thought I could help her with the technical stuff. I've been researching about DMX, lights and stuff, and I have some idea about it.

To begin with, we've decided to buy one 30W RGB LED light, and get ourselves a cheap DMX controller. The purpose for now is just to light one of the play's scene with a blueish lateral light.

My question is about the setup. So, first question:

1) Do I need anything else besides a DMX light, a DMX cable and a DMX controller? (I'm assuming the DMX terminator is just an impedance so it won't matter for such a simple setup).

Now, regarding the controller. I'd really like to get a Chromateq's LPSA-WIFI. Controlling the lights from an Android tablet or phone sounds just about right for now. So, is this all I need?

[ DMX Light in] <== DMX cable ==> [out LPSA-WIFI ] ... ... ... [ my cellphone ]

Alternatively, if I can't get Chromateq shipped to Argentina, then I could try getting some other DMX WIFI or DMX USB controller.

All I need to know for now is if I'm on the right track, or if I'm missing some piece.

I hope my question is not too stupid and thanks in advance for your time!
Ezequiel

To answer your question, yes, all you need for your setup is the fixture, the controller, 120v power(or whatever is in Argentina), and a dmx cable. But also you need to figure out where and how you will be hanging said fixture(s).

What kind of space are you in for this play? It seems to me that it is a fairly small theater. From what it sounds like, you want this single LED light to act as a special - a light that is used for specific purpose, in this case a dramatic highlight. I assume you have some other sort of ambient or systematic stage lighting in the space, as one or even several LED "PAR"s will not be enough to light the stage well. Please be aware that using only one LED PAR will not be that bright unless the stage is relatively dark(although, depends on the space), and it will flatten the actor if used alone, meaning that shadows will be cast across the actor's face and will therefore lose dimension. This is not a problem if that is the effect that you are going for, but if it is not, you will have to think about using 2 or 3 fixtures.

Someone can advise you on how/where to properly hang and operate the light once we know what type of space this is and what angle you think you want the light to hit the actor at.

Yeah, the play will be presented in small amateur like theatres or bars. These places usually have some kind of white or color ligthing of their own. However, the fixture arrangement is usually pretty basic and so that's why we are planning some additional fixtures. (Owning some fixtures will be quite useful for rehersals so that's another reason).

On the play's side, there's a moment in a scene which needs a special lighting. The stage lighting would go off (as one of the characters turn of the lights by accident), and so we want to use a blue latteral light (as the scene becomes slightly oniric).

In Argentina, they call this kind of light a "street" (the english translation for "calle"). I'm not sure if the term "street" is correct though, and I can't find a name for this kind of fixture. The fixture placement is latteral to the stage, so it lights the scene from a side. It won't hang, as its placed on the ground level. Hope this explanation makes sense.

As the stage lights would go off, I'm hoping a single LED par to be enough (although I'm not sure it will). As you can realise, this is all very amateur and I don't have much knowledge my self. I guess we'll learn by experimentation :)

Regarding the DMX controller, the Wifi ones seem over my budget. I'll probably buy a DMX to USB transceiver and get some software to run it.

Thanks a lot for your great explanation and for all those details!

Ah okay, that makes it easy. Sounds like a single light will be fine for this effect. As to control, you could buy a USB to DMX Interface like this one or some small DJ-type controller for slightly more. Either one will work fine, but the software route will allow expansion in the future. Just be sure that your software is compatable with whatever interface you are using.

Also, most USB-DMX Interfaces output 5-pin DMX, and many LED fixtures use 3-pin DMX. If this situation exists, make sure to pick up or make an adapter that will allow you to connect to your light(s). Make sure you get the right gender of adapter though. Remember "Male to Mixer, Female to Fixture" (applies to both DMX and XLR Audio runs).

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back