Altman 4.5 Zoom

Aman121

Hey all,

Just picked up a few of these instruments, and was wondering if anybody out there has any info on them, and how they stack up to other technology. I'm also wondering what lamp is best to use with these, one came loaded with an EHG which seems to be what Altman calls for. Is there a newer or different lamp out there that might work better? I also wouldn't mind lamping them down to 575 if I can still get decent performance, as they will be run off of portable dimmers.

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

Just picked up a few of these instruments, and was wondering if anybody out there has any info on them, and how they stack up to other technology. I'm also wondering what lamp is best to use with these, one came loaded with an EHG which seems to be what Altman calls for. Is there a newer or different lamp out there that might work better? I also wouldn't mind lamping them down to 575 if I can still get decent performance, as they will be run off of portable dimmers.

Thanks in advance!

The altman fixtures reflectors tend to wear out. Theyy are easy to change.

You can lamp down to 500w.

How does it compare, ok but it's not a source4

I believe these fixtures were manufactured before the GLA/C came out, which is why it isn't listed on the yoke label.

They are better units then the 1kw series if only due to being smaller and lighter.

I had arguments with the Altmans as to the design of the rear lamp access. The design required the complete removal of 2 thumb screws in order to take out the rear lamp base. A PITA on a ladder. I ended up just hack sawing slots on the rear of the fixture to remove the lamp base with the screws in place. Altman was concerned somebody would try to carry the unit with the lamp base handle, a concern unless you set the yoke vertical, which solved the problem.

We had a lot of problems initially using EHG 750w lamps, with rear lenses cracking and its a wonder this unit got UL listed at that lamp wattage. It wasn't until the intro. of the FLK series 575w lamps that the problem got solved. As well, the unit uses a standard b size gobo, but imaging is mediocre with that gobo size.

Other then these issues, I liked the fixture for the time I used them (80's - 90's).

Ok, thanks everybody, thats exactly what I wanted to know. I guess I will go with FLK or GLA for these. After a lens and reflector cleaning they seem to work pretty well.

I guess I will go with FLK or GLA for these.
You're deciding between a 300 hour vs. a 1500 hour lamp? I've never liked the FLK due to its extremely fragile filament structure. I would use the GLC if I were concerned with maximum brightness at 575W.

You're deciding between a 300 hour vs. a 1500 hour lamp? I've never liked the FLK due to its extremely fragile filament structure. I would use the GLC if I were concerned with maximum brightness at 575W.
Not the best design of a Leko but if maintained I would choose as above in high output and wattage with that in choices.

Attachments

• Altman Zoom.jpg
    Altman Zoom.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 319
Ah, the "transitional" fixture from 360Q to 1KLz. I remember the ad, but never saw one in the wild. I wonder if any were actually produced? @STEVETERRY ?

Well, it must have existed--because L&E copied it!

L&E_360Q_zoom.jpg

I agree with Derek. I would always go with GLCs over FLKs @ 575W. same specs, but the filament design is much more robust in the GLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back