Ammo for starter pistol

Steerpike

We've had this starter pistol for a few years, and have always taken it to a local sporting goods store to make sure we're getting appropriate ammunition. My colleague recently went to 3 different stores and they all told her that they didn't have ammo and didn't know where she should go to find it.

It has printing on the side that says:

Kimar, Italy
Cal.22 LONG KALL
08 04 17

A few minutes online led me to a few dead ends. Does anyone have a pistol like this and can confirm the correct ammunition and a source? A photo of the pistol is attached.

Attachments

• IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 260
Do not assume that "standard" blanks or dog-training blanks will be suitable. Likely they will be much too loud for stage work.
We recently faced exactly the same problem for a production of The Game's Afoot. Fortunately we found some extra tins of .22 blanks marked "made in Germany" at the theatre that were the proper loudness. Online searches are proving replacements are hard to come by as well.

if you know someone with the proper training and tools, you could have the standard blanks re filled with the appropriate amount of charge. We had to do this in a smaller venue I worked at, the standard blank was WAY too loud and we had to have almost half the powder removed... but again, I stress this only be done by properly trained professionals!!!

I think the problem stems from the fact that there has been a 22LR shortage for the last couple of years. Casing production has not kept up with demand, so the live ammo takes priority. That's starting to ease now. From a legal standpoint, you want to use the exact round spec'ed by the pistol manufacturer. If not, empty casings with the primer charge would most likely be loud enough.

Thanks for the quick and thorough answers. I ordered some "acorn" ammo and will try them outside before putting anyone's ears at risk.

Am I wrong in thinking that empty casings with just a primer would also be even one notch safer than standard/theatrical blanks, as they're *very* easy to identify as "no bullet", even for untrained personnel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back