Another IR Camera Thread - help needed

sdauditorium

I'm looking to get input on a little project I'd like to take care of for our PAC. The goal is a standard stage monitoring application for us to know when stage is clear following scene changes in black. Usually, our SM will give us the all-clear, but the additional assurance of checking an IR camera feed would alleviate those issues - especially when the SM is dealing with something else or view is obstructed via set pieces across stage.

We currently have a Sony PTZ D-70 feeding the lobby/late-arrival feed which would be perfect. Would this be as simple as purchasing some IR light emitters to illuminate stage during blackouts or would purchasing a separate camera be a simpler solution? I'd appreciate any recommendations on this.

We use an inexpensive security camera from Harbor Freight and a small (7") TV set in the booth. We did have to buy an auxiliary IR light to fully illuminate the stage at the distance the camera was mounted.

Thanks. Do you have your IR source permanently mounted or temporary? The only reason I ask is that for us, I'm not sure where I'd be able to permanently mount it that it would sufficiently light the stage and be easily accessible to plug it in and turn it off after each show.

Thanks. Do you have your IR source permanently mounted or temporary? The only reason I ask is that for us, I'm not sure where I'd be able to permanently mount it that it would sufficiently light the stage and be easily accessible to plug it in and turn it off after each show.

This may or may not speak to your concerns but we have 3 illuminators in the rear of our House, about 70' from plasterline (3 separate fixtures). All I know is that it seems to take all three to get a good image. Two lamps can fail and it'll still work though poorly. At that point, if not sooner, we replace all three. They usually last from 3 to 5 years and are always replaced as a group. They are only on when needed via a remote on/off switch at the SM Desk. Yes, that seems key to a decent lamp life. They can be ON anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple hours per performance.

We didn't expect the following to work but we attempted using up to 4 old 8x9's in the house ceiling w/up to triple layers of Lux in various mixes. At a high enough level for the camera to 'see', it was far too visible to the eye(even w/1960's 8x9's!). We sorta hadda to prove it wouldn't work in order to kick loose $ for the lights.

Good Luck

I figure for $80, give it a shot and see what happens. I just need to settle on a camera. All I'm finding are these $40-$80 cameras that I'm concerned are "too cheap."

My day job gives me access to a lot of retired equipment that's going to get tossed. Might be worth checking with security companies, as many places upgrade from analog to IP.

https://www.google.com/webhp?#tbm=shop&q=bosch ex82

That's what we use for our FOH camera. It's got a heck of an IR flood on it, and gives us a front view of the stage. Way overkill, but you can't beat it.
We've got smaller bullet cameras nearer stage that will show between the legs and off into the wings. Another camera on the conductor. Yet another to show the house.

I've got 2 more cameras that get used when there's something happening away from the SM that needs to be monitored - aerial fly crew for Peter Pan, for example.

EDIT: check eBay for IR flood lamps. I know there's an Extreme CCTV on up there now. Raytech is another top brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back