Another Miracle....we can get a new audio console :-) Now which one?

I've been very happy with the LS9-32 that the college Arts Center has purchased. Something to think about regarding number of channels. My console actually has 40 "channels" (with and added card with 8x TRS inputs.) so i have 32 channels of mic/preamp stuff, and 8 channels that i use for playback( stereo laptop, stereo Mp3/personal media device, Tascam CD01u, and a 5 Disc CD changer.)

This setup has worked out really well so far. The one time i found my self limited was while mixing 24 channels of Wireless and a full band. Being the the drummer himself had 8 channels of audio just with micing his kit, and a electronic drum pad. We ended up borrowing an Yamaha O1v to mix the band. Which is how i would recommend solving this problem provided you don't need more then 32 channels of Mic's on a single surface, if you are able to split up voice and band. We didn't get into the fancier aspect of master/slaving the two boards together which i believe can be done.

I'd give my LS932 a 5 stars, and i know i'm still not quite using it to it's potential.

-- EDIT -- I quoted from the wrong line in my pricebook. MAP on the iDR32 is $6,999. T80/iDR total system price is about $17k

Last edited:
I have worked with an LS9-16 and it is an AMAZING digital board. The built-in compressor and gate are a great extra that I have enjoyed using in an arena full of people listening to CDs that have been mixed at all different levels, I was able to set the compressor right when I started having issues. The software on the computer also makes it simple to control, even remotely over VNC. The software, even if it isn't used to make adjustments, makes it easier to monitor levels, fix eqs and it just looks cool! If someone learns the software well enough it can be used very easily to make adjustments if, for instance, a student doesn't know something (like how to fix feedback), you can come along and fix the eq while they still work the board for levels or something instead of having to kick them out as you do that. Very few complaints about the mixer. And the built in USB port allows you to record directly to a flash drive from the board. Haven't used that option yet but it looks very interesting to me.

The one downside is that everything on the board is XLR so you have to have a number of adapters ready if you want to use anything through line.

Thanks for the responses. FOr the most part, our high school theater does basic plays, a musical and big winter multi-arts. 18-24 wireless for plays with some CDs, ipods, MacBook inputs. Matrix, aux, sub and channels out for FX, feeds to various needs, recording, etc.

The big multi-arts uses all the wireless and about 30 mics on stage. I mix the bands mic separately on a couple of 16-ch mixers and feed them into our current 3-channel board.

the outs are used to feed monitors, both backstage and booth, feed live video, digital recordings etc. Nice to have hundreds of recall scenes, but still maintain some fader control for nuance.

Seems that if we get the replacement I should go digital so kids get the experience beyond our traditional Yamaha board.

It would be nice to be able to easily move the console out of the booth and put it in the house several feet. Maybe an I/O that is racked and some basic cable that allows us to move it in the house for a better feel for the room, but not always in that application.

I looked online at the Allen and Heath iLive T-80. Thoughts!

ClubRock: What in Ohm's name are you doing with 54 microphones on stage for a live performance? How many do you have open at a time? Eight mikes on a drum kit for live sound?

ClubRock: What in Ohm's name are you doing with 54 microphones on stage for a live performance? How many do you have open at a time? Eight mikes on a drum kit for live sound?

8 mics on a drum kit is pretty standard.

1. Kick In
2. Kick Out
3. Snare Top
4. Snare Bottom
5. Hat
6. Rack 1
7. Rack 2
8. Floor 1
9. Floor 2
10. Ride
11. Overhead SR
12. Overhead SL

And that's a pretty typical kit. Add an extra snare, cowbell, chimes, maybe another tom and you're at 16 channels of drums. Just for the hell of it, here's the rest of the input list (for one band only):

17. Drum Pad L
18. Drum Pad R
19. Samples L (sometimes these can be up to 16 channels from a multitrack machine)
20. Samples R
21. Bass DI
22. Bass Mic
23. Guitar 1 Condensor
24. Guitar 1 Dynamic
25. Guitar 2 Condensor
26. Guitar 2 Dynamic
27. Guitar 3 Condensor
28. Guitar 3 Dynamic
29. Acoustic
30. Piano L
31. Piano R
32. Key 1 L
33. Key 1 R
34. Key 2 L
35. Key 2 R
36. Vox 1
37. Vox 2
38. Vox 3
39. Vox 4
40. Vox 5
41. Spare Vox
42. Crowd Mic L (for IEM's)
43. Crowd Mic C
44. Crowd Mic R

Now add 4-6 channels if a percussion kit shows up. And this isn't anything out of the ordinary at all, for one band. During the day you might have a hand drum group and need to add 8 channels. Or a comedian needs a wireless lav. Channels add up quickly.

Last edited:
8 mics on a drum kit is pretty standard.

1. Kick In
2. Kick Out
3. Snare Top
4. Snare Bottom
5. Hat
6. Rack 1
7. Rack 2
8. Floor 1
9. Floor 2
10. Ride
11. Overhead SR
12. Overhead SL

And that's a pretty typical kit. Add an extra snare, cowbell, chimes, maybe another tom and you're at 16 channels of drums. Just for the hell of it, here's the rest of the input list (for one band only):

17. Drum Pad L
18. Drum Pad R
19. Samples L (sometimes these can be up to 16 channels from a multitrack machine)
20. Samples R
21. Bass DI
22. Bass Mic
23. Guitar 1 Condensor
24. Guitar 1 Dynamic
25. Guitar 2 Condensor
26. Guitar 2 Dynamic
27. Guitar 3 Condensor
28. Guitar 3 Dynamic
29. Acoustic
30. Piano L
31. Piano R
32. Key 1 L
33. Key 1 R
34. Key 2 L
35. Key 2 R
36. Vox 1
37. Vox 2
38. Vox 3
39. Vox 4
40. Vox 5
41. Spare Vox
42. Crowd Mic L (for IEM's)
43. Crowd Mic C
44. Crowd Mic R

Now add 4-6 channels if a percussion kit shows up. And this isn't anything out of the ordinary at all, for one band. During the day you might have a hand drum group and need to add 8 channels. Or a comedian needs a wireless lav. Channels add up quickly.
Or think about adding a horn section. For a 'multi arts' you might have an orchestra, multiple vocal/choral groups, pit band, performer mics, emcee, multi-channel playback and so on. Many people also like to being effects back into channels or to double up on some mic channels so that you can have clean and processed sends. It can all start to add up real quickly.

If you have been successful getting a school district to buy used equipment, you're a better man than I! The three districts for which I have worked were very clear about not buying anything used. It's difficult to get them to SELL used equipment...
This matches my experience with school districts and corporations. Used equipment may be allowable for minimal value purchases but usually not permitted for anything that may be considered a Capital Expenditure or where a warranty is relevant. And with a Public school district, anything of that value may have to go out to bid or be advertised as intended Sole Source so that others can respond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back