Audio from Mixer into Phone

KBToys82

Hi all!

We are doing a simple simulcast of our Memorial Day Ceremony using an iPhone and Google Hangouts. Our gym doesn't hold enough people for our school population so we will be broadcasting video/audio into our auditorium on a projector. Right now we are staying low budget and seeing if this is successful before possible moving on to some slightly better equipment.

We are using an iPhone logged onto Google Hangouts and broadcasting to a nearby laptop. Laptop has sound going into our sound system and a projector.

As of now, we are stuck using the iPhone's microphones to broadcast and since this is a gym, it gets very boomy. What I'm looking to do is have the microphone that we use plugged into a mixer with one output being to the gym sound system, and another output being used for the broadcast. (Maybe 2 additional condenser microphones for the band & choir performances that I can mute/unmute)

What my thoughts are, is using an iRig Pre hooked up to one of the mixer outputs, and run that into the iPhone for the broadcast.

Any better suggestions? This has to be on the cheap & easy side for now. Set it and forget it because the only 2 tech capable people we have will not be around to man the setup once it begins.

Are you stuck using the phone or can you use a laptop? I don't know anything about iphones, but this would be very simple for a laptop.

The audio is one thing, but the bigger question is whether you can get enough bandwidth for streaming video with a large crowd in the building. You'd better give it a wifi connection that is cloaked and restricted to one mac address. Turn off any other wifi in the building. The local cell site will slow to a crawl when 1000 phones walk into the place. If you can't guarantee the phone enough bandwidth, don't bother.

For next year, if the auditorium is not too far, plan on running video and audio cable between them, and use a real video camera. It'll take good, bulk cable, audio and video transformers on one end to prevent hum problems.

Wifi is restricted to only staff computers/computer labs and the entire school is at the ceremony so no issues with the bandwidth. We didn't have any issue streaming from one end of the school to the other. Just trying to figure out an easy way to get quality audio into the phone since we may need it for graduation and it worked well for our ceremony.

The iRig should work as well as anything. There are also pro audio devices that can feed the phone via Bluetooth, but not something that is easy to get a hold of on short notice.

It would also be possible to build an interface to plug into the earbud jack, but the 4 pole plug is a rare beast. It would also take some design to deal with the DC on the mic input and to get the level attenuated to what it needs to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back