Auditorium Fire at Dallas-Area High School

Les

Officials said they believe the fire began in a stage rigging area, where two students were attempting to undo a knot on a rope by burning through the rope.

Wait. What? Who thinks it's a good idea to burn through a knot?

My thoughts as well. Sounds like some education is in order.

So they couldn't undo a knot, so instead of getting a utility knife or some other logical implement to cut it (if it really couldn't be untied) they decided to try to melt/burn the rope? Really??? I can't ever say I've though I need this rope in 2 pieces let me burn it in half....

So they couldn't undo a knot, so instead of getting a utility knife or some other logical implement to cut it (if it really couldn't be untied) they decided to try to melt/burn the rope? Really??? I can't ever say I've though I need this rope in 2 pieces let me burn it in half....

We did that a few times in high school. Our teacher would unfortunately buy nylon tie line. So to make useable pieces we skipped the cutting step and just held it over a lighter, candle, whatever would make fire. It would cut and seal the ends in one step.

We did that a few times in high school. Our teacher would unfortunately buy nylon tie line. So to make useable pieces we skipped the cutting step and just held it over a lighter, candle, whatever would make fire. It would cut and seal the ends in one step.

Well true, thin synthetic line that could be done. From the rigging part I was picturing 1/2" or larger rope.

sounds like an excuse to play with the lighter. I throw away any matches/candles and secure any lighters, just for that very reason.

Can I just say that a pro could easily be fired for doing something that dumb. I understand fusing the end of a rope, but do it outside!
Also, where did the students get a lighter? When I was in high school a lighter would get you suspended...

Can I just say that a pro could easily be fired for doing something that dumb. I understand fusing the end of a rope, but do it outside!
Also, where did the students get a lighter? When I was in high school a lighter would get you suspended...

Suspended that's rough. We would just get it taken away and detention for smoking. I have done this with tie line as well but after I cut the line and generally not on the catwalk but at my work bench. However in the heat of the moment I prolly have made a cut and lit the end on the loading dock.

Wow, that's crazy. A lot of us carried lighters, and pocket knives in school. And this was 12 years ago. If we weren't busy in stagecraft class would would walk across the street to smoke, and the principal would occasionally see us and join us.

Sigh. I have taught students dumb enough to try this.

Suspended that's rough. We would just get it taken away and detention for smoking.
When I was in high school (class of 88) there was an on campus smoking area.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/2-Students-Treated-After-Fire-at-Haltom-High-School-283100811.html

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/11/18/6299169/haltom-high-students-accidentally.html

Some conflicting reports on this one. Initial stories cited a "bad lighting fixture in a catwalk", while later reports blamed students trying to burn a rope in half which ignited a mop head. Not sure what a mop was doing in the upper reaches of a catwalk.

Wow, thanks for this. Just heard about this today and I live in the metroplex. Who knew that we were dealing with these kinds of challenges in the high school sector.

Wow, thanks for this. Just heard about this today and I live in the metroplex. Who knew that we were dealing with these kinds of challenges in the high school sector.
....I do. I get the students first year of college from some of these places. It does NOT surprise me. I am also aware of some high school programs where the teacher does not go into the catwalks....so who knows what the students have to figure out themselves. ...it's why I do what I do...small to medium sized program at a smaller 4 year University....teaching the basics...what there is not enough of out there.....
in my humble opinion.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back