Backport fixture profiles on Element?

BobHealey

Is it possible to take fixture profiles from Element 1.9 or 2.x and load them on Element 1.7.x? I am in a venue with an Element from 2009 still running 1.7. The console firmware version may not be updated under any circumstances, but I need to get some RGBA LEDs working (Generic RGBA profile ignores the A component completely, even when asking for R02 via gel picker), and a pair of Qspot 260 LED units (In 1.9) The venue's opinion is if it can't be controlled via SCR, it does not belong in a serious theater, and therefore the Element not knowing what to do with it is not a problem, because the venue is a serious theater and LEDs and intelligent lights are not part of serious theater. The Express 24/48 in storage is looking like a nicer and nicer option, since I know exactly what to expect from its ML section, and there bugs are all well known.

On the plus side, I did manage to raise enough of a stink last summer to get the venue mgmt to remove the load bearing 2x4s from inside the counterweight arbors (and that's all the detail I'll give publicly, less anyone think its a good idea and try to duplicate it).

Hi Bob. Yes, you can. Once the information is in the patch, it travels with the show file and can be used even on software versions that did not have that profile in the library. Can I ask why they won't update the software? That is really really old! Just curious.
Thanks much!

Anne Valentino
Eos Product Line Manager
ETC

Hi Bob. Yes, you can. Once the information is in the patch, it travels with the show file and can be used even on software versions that did not have that profile in the library. Can I ask why they won't update the software? That is really really old! Just curious.
Thanks much!

Anne Valentino
Eos Product Line Manager
ETC

As far as the venue is concerned, the console is fully functional, and if its not broke, why fix it? Its connected to a Sensor CEM via DMX, so network features aren't needed and nothing other than Source 4s, Source 4 PARs and R40 strips are used, so fixture profiles don't matter. I'm part of a group that is granted use of this school's auditorium each summer (different part of the town).

The new console software offers many improvements to the designers and programmers. Magic Sheets and Tab/frame display options are just some big changes. Certainly the console is functional, that is not the same thing as perfect.

Some people who work at theaters are at the left side of the intelligence bell curve. I have run into a bunch of "moving lights don't belong in theater people," and the good news, is that they are mostly old people, and will be dead soon.
If it were me, I would bring in a different desk.

Thanks for the info. Looking like I'll probably use the Express 24/48, as I'm less likely to get frustrated by lack of features than by non-working features.

Thanks much!

Anne Valentino
Eos Product Line Manager
ETC

Tried that trick last night with a show file built on an offline Nomad install. Promptly crashed the board. Having "fun" with the fixture editor instead.

Thanks for the info. Looking like I'll probably use the Express 24/48, as I'm less likely to get frustrated by lack of features than by non-working features.
Hmm... sorry about that. It could be that 1.7 is so old and we've made enough structural changes to the library that it can't translate. Sorry to lead you on a bunny trail. But the fixture editor should work fine. Will make a note to advise you can't go back that far. Thanks much!
Anne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back