Ben Nye or Kryolan Aquacolor? - or your favorite other?

doggmann

Hi! My company is branching further into make-up this year and I'm about to make a purchase of several kits. Recently I've worked more with Kryolan's Aquacolor, but I'm more experienced in creme makeup. I feel confident enough to go one way or the other, but our budget is a little limited as to go one way or the other.

What's the word out there these days in the better stage makeup companies? Any recommendations?

Thanks - Oh, I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area - I haven't yet gone to the Kryolan nor Ben Nye local reps. Thought I'd ask ControlBooth first.
Peter Parish
Film & Theater Production
Redwood High School
Larkspur, CA

I think it depends on what you are working on. I switch between companies depending on what project I am hired for. I would say that for students or for shows where you can buy a kit per actor, I recommend the Ben Nye make up kits. Also, for special effects make-up I hands down recommend some of Ben Nye's blood (esp thick blood and fresh scab). However, I prefer Mehron liquid paints over Ben Nye's. I would say go crazy and experiment :)

Ben Nye is what I've seen used the most. Not sure there's a way to define "better" so much as "different". To the extent of experience I have with stage makeup, the premise of your questions sounds a lot like asking, "Should I paint with oil...or with acrylic?"

I don't personally have enough experience with Kryolan to compare it against Ben Nye, but from what I've seen it seems to me that someone who knows how to wield a good brush can do some very detailed designs with Kryolan that would be harder to get out of a creme makeup. Kryolan also has a hefty price to it.

FWIW, a close friend of mine in college who had a severe allergy to creme-based makeups and the astringent we would use to burn rinse our makeup off afterward. The Kryolan Aquacolor stuff was much more gentle to her face. No reaction at all whereas a creme-based makeup would've blown her face up.

I'd think a lot would depend on what sorts of applications you're doing. If it's general wrinkles, highlights, shadowing, and such, Ben Nye is probably just fine. If it's full-body, lots of contrasting, vibrant colors and intricate detail, Kryolan give you more fine detail and color vibrancy than a creme (and less the thick paste suffocating your pores).

When glancing over the forums, I keep thinking this thread is about science.

BILL BILL BILL BILL
Bill Nye The Science Guy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back