Best Hardware/Software Visualizer Combo for use with DMXIS?

annix

Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker and have always found a tonne of useful information on the CB forums. I've got a bit of an interesting problem that I'm really hoping that I could get some suggestions on.

I'm currently a Berklee Music Business student who has spent a couple years touring in the states as a backline technician, and have done some work with touring bands setting up backing/click tracks for live performance in Ableton Live.

As many of the acts that I work with already use Ableton Live (which is a D.A.W. for those unfamiliar with the software) for their live audio/click track routing, it has been an easy transition to set some of them up with a sequenced lighting show using ENTTEC's DMXIS hardware, which interfaces directly with the program using a VST plugin, allowing their light show to run very easily off of the same computer and software that they already have on stage.

The trouble that I've run in to, is that I've had to physically set up the lighting rigs (often in my living room), and run the fixtures while doing the programming. I don't think I have to explain that it would be much more convenient it would be to sequence the shows without having to turn my living room into a stage for a week every few months.

The trouble I'm having with picking a visualizer software, is that the DMX signal is generated within the DMXIS usb hardware itself, there is no way to route the signal back into any software without having a separate DMX to USB interface. I am additionally limited, because not only does the DMXIS not support ARTNET or any other ethernet standard, but my computer is a Retina Macbook Pro (AKA - it has no Ethernet port).

That said, I would love to know some opinions from anyone on what kind of solution you think might work best in this solution. I've looked at purchasing the ENTTEC DMX USB PRO which has USB input, and perhaps using that to input into Capture Student Edition, but I've had a really hard time finding out if that would even work. (Honestly, I find Capture's interface very clunky and render quality lacking, so if there's a more user friendly solution out there I'd love to hear about it).

Another solution I liked the look of was the Nicolauie Magic 3D Easy View, which as far as I can tell bundles the USB input hardware and software as one purchase which I really like. (Being a student, something cost effective like a hardware/software license all in-one bundle would definitely be nice)

Thanks very much for your time in responding everyone, your opinions and expertise in helping me decide before dropping cash on this is massively appreciated!

I can confirm that an Enttec USB PRO + Capture works well with DMXIS. I use this setup regularly for testing and demo purposes.

I don't have any personal experience with the Nicolaudie visualiser, but one of our customers did report some time ago (over at the DMXIS customer forum) that DMXIS and Magic View Easy 3D also work fine together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back