Best light frost?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I want to add a very light frost gel to my ellipsoidals to help things blend a little more smoothly. However, I have a lot of issues with bounce off the floor so I want to do it in a way that minimizes the amount of stray light spreading all over the place. The previous person at this facility was using R100 and although it blended great it really created a mess on the cyc.

So my question is which frost do you prefer, to just barely add a little extra softness without loosing control?

R132. If you're ever tempted to use the even more subtler R140, just drop the gel on the ground a couple of times and you'll get the same effect.:rolleyes:

I've written before re: the historical "trendiness" of adding frost to every ERS. When the 360Q ruled, R114 was de rigeur. The Source Four begat R119. Currently consensus is split between R132 and R140 (see above).

I use 132 for my front light, and 119 for overhead. I also have a crapton of 101 that I'll throw in parcans sometimes to get a little more spread.

Thanks guys. I've used 119 in the past but it was a little too much for what I want. I'll pick up some 132 and give it a try... if it's not enough I'll lay it out on the shop floor and roll around on it a few minutes.

I, too, am a fan of 132 for front light and 119 for top light.

Also, if you happen to have any true "legacy" fixtures around (Altman radial 360s, Kliegl 1355s, etc), R162 helps even out the "dark spot" caused by that giant hole in the reflector.

Last edited:
I agree with 119 for short throw, smaller beam applications and 132 for front light or lighter diffusion situations.

Personally my favorite and go-to frost for the application you suggest is R119. R114 is good if you need more frost than that.

Not that it needs to be said yet again, but I also use R132 for this purpose.

Thanks guys. I've used 119 in the past but it was a little too much for what I want. I'll pick up some 132 and give it a try... if it's not enough I'll lay it out on the shop floor and roll around on it a few minutes.

Some mental images are more vivid and hilarious than others.
Something like this, but with gel.

proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back