Best Lighting Control Software?

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I just had a basic question about lighting control software... For the past year, I've used Q Light Controller Plus. I use the Enttec Open DMX USB as a controller, and I've been looking to upgrade my software... I know there's better free software out there (no money left to spend on light stuff), but I just don't know what they are... On the Enttec website, they have a list of recommended software, and I was just wondering if any of you guys have used any of this software and could recommend any of it... Thanks!

You can find the list of software by clicking here

A lot of the stuff on that list is clunky to use, or pretty limited depending on your rig (what is your rig?). LightsUp!, for example, is super easy to use, but is essentially a Preset Fader Console that requires you to drag faders up and down and then record the cue. You can't run cues on top of each other. Freestyler has great functionality, but it's kind of a beast you need to really tame in order to get it to do what you want.

You may wish to look to upgrade to the Enttec DMX USB Pro. It seems a few pieces of software that were compatible with the USB Open now support the PRO at minimum (maybe the Open will work, though? I don't have one to play around with). This is likely due to driver compatibility, and the better stability of the PRO since it has a built in buffer.

MagicQ is a very feature filled software that has a relatively refined interface as it's almost a Hog in how it works. The learning curve can be a bit steep, but it's very powerful. Is everything and the kitchen sink. LXConsole is much simpler, and uses syntax similar to an ETC Expression console. It does have rudimentary Moving Light controls and effects, along with MIDI and OSC support.

A lot of the stuff on that list is clunky to use, or pretty limited depending on your rig (what is your rig?). LightsUp!, for example, is super easy to use, but is essentially a Preset Fader Console that requires you to drag faders up and down and then record the cue. You can't run cues on top of each other. Freestyler has great functionality, but it's kind of a beast you need to really tame in order to get it to do what you want.

You may wish to look to upgrade to the Enttec DMX USB Pro. It seems a few pieces of software that were compatible with the USB Open now support the PRO at minimum (maybe the Open will work, though? I don't have one to play around with). This is likely due to driver compatibility, and the better stability of the PRO since it has a built in buffer.

MagicQ is a very feature filled software that has a relatively refined interface as it's almost a Hog in how it works. The learning curve can be a bit steep, but it's very powerful. Is everything and the kitchen sink. LXConsole is much simpler, and uses syntax similar to an ETC Expression console. It does have rudimentary Moving Light controls and effects, along with MIDI and OSC support.

I don't have a ton of experience in the area of lights, so I'd really want something that's pretty simple and easy to use. From your descriptions, MagicQ probably seems to be like the choice for me... Do you know if it'll work with the Open DMX USB? Like I said, we just really don't have any money left to spend so the DMX USB Pro is really out of the question... As far as lights go we just have a lot of stationary LEDs and a couple dimmable incandescents, nothing that moves...

Last I looked, the DMX King Micro USB interface was about the same price as the Enttec Open and does have internal timing. I would not use an Open with more than 24 channels. We run about 200 (300 with the extra LED channels) with a DMX King and/or the Enttec Pro.

Last edited:
I don't know if MagicQ supports the Open any longer. As the software is free to download there is certainly no harm in downloading it and seeing if you can get it to play nice with the Open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back