Best paint for sch.40 pipe and base?

kenm

Hi all,

Looking to re-paint my inventory of (20) 10' sch.40 lighting pipes and 50lb. round bases. They started as bare metal pipe from Home Depot, and have been sprayed over and over numerous times throughout the years with cheap flat black spray paint, and continue to chip and scratch very easily each use as they are handled, moved and fixtures are attached. Because of the numerous layers of paint build-up, we're planning on sanding / grinding the old paint off and getting back to the bare metal so we can lay a fresh coat of paint.

My expertise ends here...what's the best paint (types, models, etc) and method to ensure this pipe stays looking fresh for the long run? Any primer needed? I have small paint sprayers available or can use spray paint, whatever works better and is more cost effective. Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Whenever you clamp something onto the pipe it'll probably cut right through whatever paint you have on the pipe. Than being said a good layer of Rustoleum self etching primer before the black paint would probably help prevent the paint from chipping.

For a pipe hiding in the wings, a few chips and scratches never bother me. If in view, I've just accepted that the pipe will need touch up black, or a different paint altogether to blend into the scenic design.

Cleaning and degreasing the pipe before its first paint is also hugely important. Simple Green and lots of shop rags are your best friend.

Last edited:
It is not a flat finish, but I have had excellent results from using Red Devil Acrylic Latex Enamel on several fixture storage carts that get C-clamps put on and removed a lot. Resists chipping very well and the continued good looks might trump the semi-gloss finish.

If you really want to go for it, have them powder-coated. Otherwise, I get a direct-to-metal paint from my local automotive paint store. I'm not familiar with the Red Devil stuff. I may try it.

I just make sure that I do really good prep. That thin layer of oil is on all the pipes I get from HD, so I wipe them really well with a good degreaser and then scuff them up with a Scotch-Brite, then tack cloth. You can prime, but as others have said, the clamps will eat that away as well, so I don;t prime and just use several coats of Flat Black Rustoleum with good drying time in between.

I wish I could have them all powder coated though....

Powder coat looks beautiful when it comes in from the painter's, but isn't worth the additional cost for this application. Once you clamp your instruments to it a few times it will be just as scratched-up and ugly-looking as any other coating. The best bet is not to buy galvanized pipe in the first place; buy black pipe. It'll look good for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back