Bijou console issue

ricer

The bijou console used at our school went on the fritz. It may have taken a power surge. When the console is hooked up and turned on, there will be a specific scene that comes up on the stage. It doesn't matter what fader or even the black out button is engaged the same scene stays on. When the console is turned off, the same scene is on. There is a smaller bijou console that we can hook up and then turn the stage lights off.

The console is about 10 + years old. We have been told it can't be repaired because some of the parts are not available anymore. Is there someone that does work on the bijou console boards that can fix or confirm that it is not fixable before a new console is purchased needlessly?

If it does need to be replaced what consoles are compatable that would be good choices?

Thanks!

Riser

Is there someone that does work on the bijou console boards that can fix or confirm that it is not fixable before a new console is purchased needlessly?

Yes there is. Alan Child at EDI Service and Repair. I'd give them a call. EDI is no longer in business, and Alan Child and his company are the closest you can get to EDI factory service these days (they were previous EDI engineers).

If it does need to be replaced what consoles are compatable that would be good choices?

Since the Bijou runs DMX, any DMX console can be used in place of it, as long as you get one with the channel capacity your venue needs, or greater. The ETC Element is huge right now, and Strand has very nice offerings as well. There are others, but ETC and Strand are often the top two choices for theatrical lighting control.

Last edited:
If in a real pinch, you may consider purchasing a used Bijou console for immediate use w/no training, and the old one may be used for parts-

Here's one: Electronics Diversified Bijou Control Console

Bijou.jpg

If in a real pinch, you may consider purchasing a used Bijou console for immediate use w/no training, and the old one may be used for parts-

Here's one: Electronics Diversified Bijou Control Console

6798-bijou-console-issue-bijou.jpg
Kelite, Thanks for responding about the Bijou. The damaged one is a 48/96 model. We have the model in the picture to use in the student tv broadcast room. The house lights in the gym are controlled by fader numbers in the 50's. I'm not sure how to make this board control the house lights or if it can without the added faders. If we can find a used 48/96 we would probably consider just replacing the damaged one.

Thanks,
Ricer

That used one in the Gear Source add is a 72/144... that means it has even more faders than yours. Your channels in the 50's should work no problem. If not, the bijou should be able to "re-patch" so that those you can control those channels with whatever fader you like on the console. If you need help learning how to re-patch. I'm sure we can help you here on CB.

I would call Alan Child and see if he can give you a rough estimate on repair vs just buying a used one. A new console, although it will have a lot of cool new features, is going to cost you at least $4k.

I would call Alan Child and see if he can give you a rough estimate on repair vs just buying a used one. A new console, although it will have a lot of cool new features, is going to cost you at least $4k.

Seconded.

If you can get it repaired on the cheap, that Bijou can do just about anything you need with conventional lighting. Fairly capable little console, and easy to use.

Seconded.

If you can get it repaired on the cheap, that Bijou can do just about anything you need with conventional lighting. Fairly capable little console, and easy to use.

I e-mailed Alan Child a couple of times and he has been very helpful trying to help me get the console going. At this time he doesn't have the facilities to accomodate the bijou console for repair though. You guys have been great trying to help me out! Can't thank you enough.

Ricer

...At this time he doesn't have the facilities to accommodate the Bijou console for repair though. ...
Well, that's certainly disappointing.:( One would think if Alan can't fix, no one can. Although you might try Steve Short at Lite-Trol, or one of the other fine vendors listed at Service and Repair Vendors - ControlBooth , like DimmerDotCom.

OR, search for a good deal on a used ETC Express 48/96 (if buying used is an option), at one of these vendors: Sources for Used Equipment - ControlBooth . Should be a fairly seamless transition. The Bijou is very similar to the Express; Les can probably speak more to that.

If buying used is not an option, ETC Element. Every high school in America should have an Element, or better.

That used one in the Gear Source add is a 72/144... that means it has even more faders than yours. Your channels in the 50's should work no problem. If not, the bijou should be able to "re-patch" so that those you can control those channels with whatever fader you like on the console. If you need help learning how to re-patch. I'm sure we can help you here on CB.

There is no doubt you can re-patch the Bijou 48/96 model. just use the following keystrokes.
*Assuming that your house lights are on 53 ant you want to patch them to channel 48 and you do NOT need a profile*
[Patch/Profile] [5] [3] [At] [4] [8] [Enter]

Hi we have a similar issue our drama department doesn't know what they did to our board but some who all the lights on ch 1-48 got move to the second lighting row on our boards and we had to find every light that once work to have our spring band concert And to everyone's knowledge our stage light and everything never really fully functioned correctly? Can anyone help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back