Blizzard StormChaser LED Strip Light

Hello,

Has anyone used these LED strip lights? I have come into some extra money for the high school where I tech direct and my rep at Barbizon mentioned these are good for the value. The space we perform in is only 12' tall so the cyc throw doesn't need to be huge. Just curious if anyone has any experience or opinions about this brand.

Hello,

Has anyone used these LED strip lights? I have come into some extra money for the high school where I tech direct and my rep at Barbizon mentioned these are good for the value. The space we perform in is only 12' tall so the cyc throw doesn't need to be huge. Just curious if anyone has any experience or opinions about this brand.

They aren't bad considering the price you can get them for.

I've used bars similar to that one in the past and in my experience they don't look good. The blocks of color mean that the spread isn't as homogenized, and that's something you'll notice in a 12' space. Take a look at the PixelStorm 240 (which has all colors of LEDs mixed up together rather than in blocks) at the very least, but I'd suggest looking at a fixture with homogenized LEDs such as the Chauvet COLORband Pix (which has Tri-LEDs). I've had very good experience with these lights, and the output is pretty substantial for just a bar of 12 Tri-LEDs. The only colors I'm not happy with are deep lavender, middle amber, and warm white (which are going to be issues for any light that doesn't have amber in the mix).

If you wanted to really up the output and color rendering you could jump to the Chauvet Colordash Batten Quad 12. Nice bars, really good output, and the amber LEDs allow you to mix decent colors pretty easily.

I have some blizzard hotbox5 fixtures that I purchased last year. Very satisfied with the build quality of the units. I know they have the dimming curve figured out for the fixtures I bought, but you will want to make sure that whatever you are looking at has an appropriate dimming curve. Some of their older fixtures had a really bad 'pop' on and off.

You can also take a look at Monoprice PID 612600. They are nearly identical to the Blizzard ColorStorm 252. In fact, I believe they come from the same production line. They have the mixed colors and give a nice even blend across the fixture. They seem a bit lightweight but should have no problem with the 12' throw. Plus they are quite a bit cheaper than the Blizzard version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back