Blue LED Failure Rate?

Clark LED

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me if there seems to be a tendency for Blue LEDs to fail far more often than the other colors?

If so, do the failures tend to be the LED or the circuitry driving it?

Thanks!

I'm going to answer with a definitive MAYBE.

Blue LEDs are a fairly recent invention compared to red and green. The chemistry and the process for making them is more difficult. The manufacturing processes continue to evolve so my information may already be obsolete.

That said, there are lots of failure modes for LEDs and the circuits that drive them so colour may not be the biggest contributor to failure. Shoddy manufacturing and substandard components would play a bigger role.

Yes, blue is a problem. As sk8 said, compared to red and green, blue LEDs are new to the game. It took a long time to perfect the chemistry to produce blue. When indicator type blue LEDs first came out, you could buy a red, amber, or green LED for about 5 cents. The blue indicator would be $8. It took years to get them down to a reasonable price, but the basic science behind blue is still a tricky business. As the power levels increased, blue was and is still the biggest challenge.

If a blue indicator lamp say in a AC-Distro, they are fully warranty. Constant change but next generation of them are better - somewhat only in also going bad. In new racks we buy won't be having them in use. Yes to the above in explained why.

Though I do love using them on gear I build which isn't used or touring as much and am yet to have any fail yet. Could also be dependant on brand and style as the ones I use are very different than the ones I replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back