Breakup Gobo

Technoj

Hello everyone
I am designing at a theatre that has little to work with and I need to break up the stage. I have never used breakup gobos before, (How sad right? :( ) and cannot figure out how to position those fixtures. Please help.

Somewhere above the stage and fuzzed to whatever focus you want. If you don't like them, pull them down and make adjustments until you get a look you like.

Via tapatalk

You've definitely got options here. I do like a good top gobo wash, but depending on the desired effect, you can do toplight, backlight, sidelight or high sidelight, or sometimes from a box boom/torm position. Take a fixture, put a gobo in it, and put it in a few different places. See what you like. Each angle is going to produce a different direction of shadow, different amount of breakup on actors & set, and different amount of spread on the pattern (from the angle it's coming from). I personally am quite partial to high side gobo washes, sometimes from one side only depending on the show & setting. Creates interesting dimensionality.

As others have said, there really is no "wrong" way to do breakup gobo washes. It all depends on the effect that you are going for and what you and the director like. In addition to what is mentioned above, I have even done balcony rail gobo washes when that seemed like the right angle to create the effect I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back