Bulk Microphone Cable - Purchase Advice

gcpsoundlight

Hi All.

I am looking to buy probably 3-400m (1000-1200ft) of mic cable for a hire company situation. I had already gotten a price on what I would call a "No-Name" brand cable, but after some fun at work last night (using no name cable = no comm's for me, using good (belden i think) cable it worked), I would like to get some opinions on some good brands, and possibly average pricing (although I am aware that this would vary). I am planning on using neutrik connectors if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Gerard.

Around here often you can get the best price by shopping the electrical supply store (The places where professional electricains buy supplies, not the places where average people go for hardware and electric stuff). You may have to wait for them to special order it but it's often cheaper. Many theater suppliers buy from the electrical supply places so if you are buying enough you can save money by cutting out the middle man.

We use Sommer cable. They're not cheap, but not too expensive either, and great quality. They have a very wide range of products. Have a look here to see who is the distributor in Aus.
Another good brand we used to get is Klotz. We pay about R1200 for a 100m roll of Sommer which would be about 100 AUD.

You might also check with some local install Contractors and large production houses, they may order in large quantity lots and be able to sell you 1000' for less than you can purchase it yourself. You can also check distributors like Anixter.

As far as name brands for bulk mic/line cable some of the common names include Belden, West Penn, Mogami, Canare, Liberty, Gepco, Clark Cable, ProCo, Gotham Audio and many others, but there will be a myriad of variations of cable construction, ratings, performance, etc. within those.

FWIW, my prerogative tends to be no mic cables longer than 50'. If you need a 150' run, use 3 cables 50' long. Anything longer than 50' is a hassle to coil up and untangle, and is more trouble than it's worth for anytime you need to use it but don't need the full length of it.

Belden's distributor is Madison Technologies
Canare's distributor is Amber Technologies, who are also Neutrik's distributor.
(The above from memory, occasionally distribution arrangements DO change...)

If it's the hire company buying it, then either of those companies would likely supply at trade.
I would avoid any electrical wholesaler ;)

Consider Eurocable (dist by TRC in Melbourne), Klotz or Mogami as well. Most of the other brands mentioned I have never seen in this country :)
Madison also carry a house brand of Roadworx, it's not bad, but it's not Canare or Euro either...
Drop me a line privately and I'll tell you what we were using for what when I worked for the big boys :)

There are times when you REALLY want that 50m or 100m cable run in single length. In certain events having an opportunity for someone to disconnect the cable in punter land ALWAYS ends badly, not to mention it's a pain when you are gaffing down the cable to avoid a trip hazard...

I'm not sure about suppliers in your area, but I would definitely recommend not going with the cheapest cables you can find. At the same time, though, don't believe the snake oil salesmen. Get a decent quality cables with Neutrik NC3FXX (female) and NC3MXX (males) connectors and you'll be good to go. I buy all of my cable in bulk and put my own connectors on, along with colored heat shrink with my company name printed on it. I buy my cabling from CBI and XLR connectors from Markertek.

I used to buy bulk and make my own. A company I work with will make any length I want and give a lifetime warranty. I spend a little more but I have no labor involved either. Not really an answer for you but bishopthomas is close so I mentioned it.

Consider Eurocable (dist by TRC in Melbourne), Klotz or Mogami as well. Most of the other brands mentioned I have never seen in this country :)
Not surprised with some of them but I am surprised that Gotham Audio, which is based in Switzerland, has no Australian distributor. Carraro Broadcast Solutions is apparently the Australian distributor for Gepco and Clark as well as offering Belden and Canare while Amber Technology that you noted for Canare is also the distributor for Liberty (Liberty AV Solutions).

Oops, sorry Gepco is big in the broadcast industry here.

And as always, me merely not being familiar with it does not exclusively mean that it isn't available, just that your chances of finding it easily are less...

I have always used Gepco M1042, however recently have been buying premade Audio Technica A8314 series from B&H because its cheaper and less hassle to buy premade and the quality is great.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for bulk XLR cable? I am looking at buying a few thousand feet to make my own cables. I am using it for portable applications and it must be durable. Any advice is appreciated!

I have all GLS Audio cables, a couple dozen in 25' and 50' lengths. I've had them for several years now -- only used a few times a year, but for middle school orchestra where kids and parents step all over them in the gym -- and I've never had one go out on me. It's got a soft, rubbery outer cover that I think feels better than some of the other brand cables I've used. Their bulk is $85 including shipping for a 300' roll.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/category/Cables.html

At a large amusement park we use Whirlwind Accusonic +2 Low-Z Capacitance Corrected 2AM (taken straight from the jacket) This is used on the rides as well as replacement cords on our Handmics (Shure 527B)
This stuff is really good and handles the abuse of people who really don't know (or care) how to handle cords. The biggest issue we have is when people get the cord caught or close doors on it and cut it.
I have no clue about costs, that's not my department.

Also: for cheap, good connectors Rean is pretty good. made by neutrik, but sourced to china. I got lucky and picked up a pile of various cords when my school got red of a bunch of cables. Still have a pile of cable im not sure what to do with....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back