Buying truss

Sorry, but no.
Pickles without an e-stop are not a safe situation.

Nothing that I would call a pickle has an e-stop. I agree with bishopthomas that a pickle is momentary. In my experience that means only up or down for one motor that you are very close to (aka running up to tension or down for storage). But FWIW IMHO further discussion on what a pickle is should be moved to a new topic since you've already said that the rigging will be done by qualified riggers other than yourself.

Grainger or Fastenal maybe, but the average hardware store doesn't carry anything close.

SOME Ace stores have Grade 8 (I think that's the grade) bolts in stock. But if you're using bolted truss, you should always have extras in stock. But if you have to buy them, most rigging companies will overnight what you need.

It appears I was a bit too imprecise by using the term 'hardware store'....

The point I was trying to make was that if you're missing the truss's joining hardware, and you have a crew standing around, and the show is tonight, what's your preferred option? Driving across town to an industrial supply store? Or calling someone in another state and asking for a rush shipment?

A moot point if you build it once, and leave it in place.

And yes, since I live in an agricultural area, there's a number of farmer's hardware stores near me that do carry graded hardware, although I grant the point that the average suburban DIY big-box store probably won't carry it (same logic as why they don't carry three pole circuit breakers - their average customer probably doesn't have any business messing with things at that level).

For bishopthomas as well as anyone else.
As a general rule, I would not mix and match truss manufacturers.
In fact if a rental house ever sent me more than one brand of truss, I most likely would send it back, unless it was just being used as a decoration. (with no load, and minimal spans)
Once you start mixing up manufacturers equipment, there is no way to accurately determine the amount of weight that can safely be loaded upon a truss.

(Of course, if your thomas/Tomcat rep signed off on this arrangement, I will stand corrected)

hey,

Im Looking to buy a couple of pieces of trusses and started to ask for quotes. I was wondering what the avg. price on 6 or 8 foot 12" box truss is.

There is a company that has a special right now for $368 a piece. Is this a good deal?
I haven't heard of them but my main concern is that if I do buy truss from them is it compatible with other manufactures. Im worried that if i had to rent more that they wouldn't link together.

thanks
Giovanni

hey,

Im Looking to buy a couple of pieces of trusses and started to ask for quotes. I was wondering what the avg. price on 6 or 8 foot 12" box truss is.

There is a company that has a special right now for $368 a piece. Is this a good deal?
I haven't heard of them but my main concern is that if I do buy truss from them is it compatible with other manufactures. Im worried that if i had to rent more that they wouldn't link together.

thanks
Giovanni

Who is the manufacture? Also, its really not a good idea to mix truss brands. Truss is engineered to work together as a unit. One piece of truss even if it looks the same as another can have very different loading characteristics.

hey,

thanks
Giovanni

XSF makes top quality truss, but I don't believe their stuff is as easy to find at rental houses as Tomcat truss is. I know that you can mix some Tomcat 20" x 20" truss with XSF 20" x 20" and I wouldn't be surprised if their 12" box truss is designed to be compatible as well. They have great customer service as well so you can probably call them, tell them your situation, and they'll be able to tell you if this would work for you or not.

PS. Footer they make all their own truss, They're actually a great resource for custom metal fab jobs especially if they're large scale and/or have to be weight bearing.

Thanks guys this is great info. My only question now is base plates. Are they universal or do I also have to order them from the same company as the truss maker.

thank you
Giovanni

Thanks guys this is great info. My only question now is base plates. Are they universal or do I also have to order them from the same company as the truss maker.

thank you
Giovanni

Check with one or two of your local rental houses, you'll want to buy the same brand of truss they stock for rental.

thank you
Giovanni

By base plates are you talking about where the pieces of truss are bolted together, a place where wheels would be installed on the truss, or something else? Bolt patterns are not universal, but wheel plates are less important and can be mixed.

By base plates are you talking about ... or something else? ...
The bottom of a truss tower (DJs call it a totem.).
6443-buying-truss-xsf_24x24-aluminum.jpg

Pro Audio Gear: XSF X-24-UBP-ALUM 24x24" Aluminum Universal Truss Base Plate

Usually drilled for both 12x12" and 20.5x20.5", and 3'x3' or 4'x4'. Since in this case heavy is desirable, often made of steel rather than aluminum.

Attachments

• XSF_24x24-Aluminum.jpg
    XSF_24x24-Aluminum.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,487

Users who are viewing this thread

Back