Chamsys Fixture Building

Hey Guys,

Im sure questions like this have been asked before but I couldn't find anything to help me.
Ive got my chamsys Magic Q dongle and have had a bunch of LED Cans donated to my show.
The light out of them is great so I really want to use them but they are a chinese product with not much support and offer only one DMX Mode.
Ch 1 Red
Ch 2 Green
Ch 3 Blue
Ch 4 000 - 160 = Dimmer // 161 - 255 Strobe

Now I built a fixture profile for them and it worked but i'm wondering if there is any possible way to separate the strobe and dimmer channels. Using Ranges or Virtual Channels or something similar. I set up a range but I didn't really understand how to use it. As for busking I would love to have these parameters on separate channels so I dont have to try and make sure a fader doesn't go above a value of 161 :)
Cheers

If you need a custom personality building you are welcome to send us the details over to: support 'at' chamsys.co.uk, then we can get one added to the main library for you.

Making fixture profiles is easy - locate a similar RGB led personality (the 'china' manufacturer is a good place to start). Select the 'edit head' soft button and reorder/delete channels as you need.

However, as James said sending an email to the him and the guys at Chamsys is just as easy,the turn around is quick and the fixture profile gets added to the library so other users with the same fixture can make use of it.

Hey Guys,

Im sure questions like this have been asked before but I couldn't find anything to help me.
Ive got my chamsys Magic Q dongle and have had a bunch of LED Cans donated to my show.
The light out of them is great so I really want to use them but they are a chinese product with not much support and offer only one DMX Mode.
Ch 1 Red
Ch 2 Green
Ch 3 Blue
Ch 4 000 - 160 = Dimmer // 161 - 255 Strobe

Now I built a fixture profile for them and it worked but i'm wondering if there is any possible way to separate the strobe and dimmer channels. Using Ranges or Virtual Channels or something similar. I set up a range but I didn't really understand how to use it. As for busking I would love to have these parameters on separate channels so I dont have to try and make sure a fader doesn't go above a value of 161 :)
Cheers

im trying to make a profile with some generic fixtures but im not sure how to figure out what goes where.
EXAMPLE
1 Intensity
2 R
3 G
4 B
5 Strobe

Or

1 R
2 G
3 B
4 Intensity
5 Strobe

does the order matter?

Yes. The fixture's manual should have a section that indicates which channel controls each parameter.
If you don't have the manual, you can hook the fixture up to a console and send raw dmx values (just patch as 6 or 9 conventional lights in a row, and address the LED accordingly) to see what order the parameters are in.

I do not have the manual. I tried addressing the fixture to 1.001 in 8ch mode, I patched 8 dimmer fixtures into the console and set them from address 1.001 to 1.008, i got absolutely nothing.They are generic RGBA

Yes. The fixture's manual should have a section that indicates which channel controls each parameter.
If you don't have the manual, you can hook the fixture up to a console and send raw dmx values (just patch as 6 or 9 conventional lights in a row, and address the LED accordingly) to see what order the parameters are in.

*sorry i accidentally posted that here is the rest of what i was saying**

They are generic led festoons that have a truss box, Impretty sure they are just RGB might have amber. I tried a bunch of random fixture types and managed to get bits and bobs (no proper colour mixing). but they would never stay the same?

Running ETC EOS btw

EXAMPLE
in RGB LED 8bit mode i got
(red encoder) intensity
(green encoder) strobe
(blue encoder) intensity
with colour only red

I swapped to several different fixture types and now i get nothing with that fixture type

opening night is literally 24 hours away and they are a big part of the show!

Well, if you're getting some light out of them, at least you know they work, mostly.
I would try setting it down to a lower channel mode, if it has a 3-ch mode then likely it is just rgb. An 8-ch mode could be R+G+B+A+intensity+strobe+chases+colorpicker?
If you're getting nothing out of them, my first guess is that it has an intensity channel- which has to be up to see anything.

out of other fixture types i got an amber and a strobe.

But wouldnt you think that if for one fixture type i get, intensity-strobe-intensity with only red light, but a different channel it would only light half the lights and switch ever couple minutes.

You reckon its worth making an
RGBAint
intRGBA
intRGBA(whatever else)

I also tried addressing the fixture to 1, then patching 8 dimmer channels starting from 1 to 8, i got absolutly nothing!

Well, if you're getting some light out of them, at least you know they work, mostly.
I would try setting it down to a lower channel mode, if it has a 3-ch mode then likely it is just rgb. An 8-ch mode could be R+G+B+A+intensity+strobe+chases+colorpicker?
If you're getting nothing out of them, my first guess is that it has an intensity channel- which has to be up to see anything.

its a generic fixture though so for all i know it could be RAintBG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back