Control/Dimming Cheap DMX Controller And Cables

Depends what exactly you are trying to do. Looks to need 15 channels of DMX control. How many do you have? As far as controllers go, you could go with a PC based solution (plenty of free software on the web), you would just need a dongle to convert your USB port to DMX output. The other way would be to pick up a simple controller from Chauvet or ADJ, they start around $100. Cables depend on if you have a 5 pin device or a 3 pin device. Plenty on Ebay. True DMX is 5 pins, but pins 4 and 5 were never given purpose. Therefore, there are a lot of 3 pin cables out there using standard XLR mic connectors. For your purpose, either is fine, just make sure it is "DMX" cable as compared to mic cable. Although mic cable often works fine on very simple rigs, you can run into some odd problems especially if you expand later. FYI - The first 3 pins on either 3 pin or 5 pin are wired the same. Also, 3 to 5 and 5 to 3 adapters are sold on Ebay and many other places if you end up with one thing using 3 and another thing using 5.

Monoprice.com has the cheapest dmx cables I've found. I own probably around 75 of them in various lengths and I've never had a problem. And the few I've opened up seemed to be well made. To find them search for "dmx lighting" in their search box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back