Cheap Fixtures

Hello everyone,

I work in a very small theatre with little budget. I have a few questions about how to improve the lighting.

We have many par 38's, are there ways to put barn doors on them?

Are there any lights smaller than ellipsoidals but that can do similar stuff?

Thanks,
Josh

Depends on the par 38. If it's a standard Chinese can, barn doors would probably weigh down the front end too much causing it to sag. If it's a higher grade fixture, such as Altman's model, it will probably hold them. The frame size is 6.25" I believe (Source Four sized).

The Altman units tend to have full frame runners and thicker yokes while the Chinese units have smaller gel clips and thinner yokes.

As for other options, look in to the Source Four Jr, Altman 3.5Q, Altman 3" fresnel, Altman Micro Ellipse, as well as the Source Four Mini. Times Square Lighting manufactures small 3" fixtures also.

Depends on the par 38. If it's a standard Chinese can, barn doors would probably weigh down the front end too much causing it to sag. If it's a higher grade fixture, such as Altman's model, it will probably hold them. The frame size is 6.25" I believe (Source Four sized).

The Altman units tend to have full frame runners and thicker yokes while the Chinese units have smaller gel clips and thinner yokes.

As for other options, look in to the Source Four Jr, Altman 3.5Q, Altman 3" fresnel, Altman Micro Ellipse, as well as the Source Four Mini. Times Square Lighting manufactures small 3" fixtures also.

Thanks for the response! The barn door information was really useful.

Do you know of any theatre lights under $75 that are worth looking at if we wanted to get a couple on a very small budget?

Thanks for the response! The barn door information was really useful.

Do you know of any theatre lights under $75 that are worth looking at if we wanted to get a couple on a very small budget?
Simple answer is no. However, If I were put in the same circumstance, I would look at some of the products made for the DJ market. If this is a formal theater, then the big limiting factor is purchasing equipment that meets several code standards. Most DJ stuff does not.

Simple answer is no. However, If I were put in the same circumstance, I would look at some of the products made for the DJ market. If this is a formal theater, then the big limiting factor is purchasing equipment that meets several code standards. Most DJ stuff does not.

Okay, thank you. I am using 2 led fixtures right now because they are very flexible. I am also using a dimmer pack with 6 par 38 cans attached to it. This should be fine for now until we get more money.

The other possibility is the "used" market. Not sure about smaller fixtures, but often a theater will do an upgrade and then sell off their inventory on the cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back