Microphones "Classic" Live Mic Usage Survey Results

Even with all that I'm still not putting any km184's in our inventory. You hit the sweet spot in my opinion of what just about every rider I have filled had on it. If you were to build up a mic inventory this would be a good list to start from.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree that this list would be an excellent place to start for building a mic inventory that is rider-friendly for the most part. It would be interesting to do this exercise with a larger base, perhaps to even sub-divide into a few different genres etc.
The results could be pretty interesting, and give a really good starting place for people looking to expand their mic inventory.

Ah, come on, Footer. The 184 is a great mic. I've been picking them up used for around $450, at most $500. At that price it's not much more than any new more budget-oriented mic. I feel pretty good about having most of the mics on that list, at least for rock bands and such. And the ones I don't have I have very worthy replacements. For example, I only own a single SM57. But I have other mics that, in my opinion, do a better job and are perfectly acceptable on most riders (e906, Audix I5, etc).

I thought it was funny to see the Schoeps mics listed. I mean, of course they're great mics, but they're not super popular or even widely known about. So to see them come up on this type of list is odd. Was it a write in or did you actually offer that as a selection?

Anyway, great job with the survey and compiling a list.

Ah, come on, Footer. The 184 is a great mic. I've been picking them up used for around $450, at most $500. At that price it's not much more than any new more budget-oriented mic. I feel pretty good about having most of the mics on that list, at least for rock bands and such. And the ones I don't have I have very worthy replacements. For example, I only own a single SM57. But I have other mics that, in my opinion, do a better job and are perfectly acceptable on most riders (e906, Audix I5, etc).

Can't buy used... even though I would love to. We do have a 105 which recently has been out a lot (luckly not when I'm doing monitors...). We sub in 451's for the 184's all the time. I own 4 of them along with 2 391 B's that get used a lot. I'm not against the existence of the 184, but I am against the 1800 dollar price tag for a matched pair. Kind of like how I wish I could own another set of 414's... but instead we have 2 414's and 4 KSM32's.

I'm kind of in a weird house though. One weekend we do rock, the next we do Jazz, the next we do blues, the next we do bluegrass. So, we see it all. I get the riders that have only 105's, 184's, and 103's on them... and they get an email with their subs. We also get the people in who only want an SM57 and thats it... especially the folk guys. If you try to give them something more exotic they freak out.

Right now I have a PO out for some 906's, 904's, another set of 421's, and some other odds and ends. 184's are on the list... but its a rather long list!

Oh, right. I always forget about the used gear policies most of you guys have. You can use that 105 anywhere a 184 would be an option. Don't get hung up on what "type" of mic it is. One of my favorite trumpet mics is an e609, although the 609 is not my favorite guitar mic, by far. 604's are good on horns too. Stevie Nicks sang into a 441 for years, Tom Petty into a 57.

451's are great mics too. I don't have any but I certainly wouldn't turn it down if someone tried to give me one. I'm not big on matched pairs, at least for live work. When you get into high end microphones they sound pretty darn close anyway. Unless you REALLY need that extra bit of similarity for perfection (like in recording using them as coincident pairs) then it's really not necessary. I'll say, until I used the 184 I never really "got it." I knew it was a good mic but I'd used good mics before. Can it really be that much better than Earthworks, sm81, etc? Yes. It can and it is. I started using a 3-mic drum setup (kick, snare, OH) in a restaurant that I sometimes mix in, with a limited channel count, and I was blown away by not just the fidelity, but also the gain before feedback I got out of it. I really didn't expect much the first time I tried it, but I was able to crank the hell out of it in the PA (in a terrible circular glass room) and it actually sounded GOOD!

All that to say not to rule out 184's. It really changed my mind on some things. As far as the 414's.... I have a 414B-ULS which is supposed to be one of the better sounding, and older, versions. I'm planning on selling mine and buying another 184. I bought it mainly to use as a grand piano mic (which it's amazing at) but I don't think it sounds as good or has as tight a pattern (in cardioid) as the 184. It is a very nice feature that it has selectable patterns, but honestly how often are you using figure 8 on a stage?

I've always been of the belief that if you (as an artist) want something specific then you should be bringing that with you. And I feel like I can say that without remorse, having been on both sides as a BE and business owner. When I toured I brought my mic package. For free. It's what I personally wanted. I didn't feel like scrounging together the absolute garbage that were at some of the places. I did that on the first tour and from then on brought mics like OM5's, 421's, etc. Eventually the band bought a mic package so I could leave mine at home. But at no point did I ever feel like I was entitled to EXACTLY what toys I want. Band engineers are babies wanting their toys, and if they don't get them they throw temper tantrums. It sounds ridiculous, but it really is that crazy.

So I say, don't sweat it too much. Don't buy junk and you should be able to please 95% of the folks you'll come across. Beyond that, just buy want you want to use and what sounds good to your ears. In the end all that matters is how it sounds, not what name is on the gear.

The list seems to lean to the mics that have been around a long time. That isn't surprising given that those are the ones more people have experience with, because they are more widely available. The downside is that it overlooks some great mics simply because they are less common.

And there are a few, glaring head scratchers. An SM-57 on an acoustic bass? That's just wrong.

Mic choice is not as picky as a lot of (sales) people would have us believe. Not everyone has a huge variety in our mic box, so don't be afraid to try what you have.

I agree with the last two posts a lot, the list does lean towards mics that have been around a while, and really as long as you have good mics that you are happy with the sound of it's all good. But it is a good exercise to see what other people use.

Hey I've used SM57s on acoustic bass quite a few times, while its not ideal it can work just fine sometimes.

I do and don't go for Footer saying how Folkies stray away from more 'exotic' microphones, I've been doing sound for folk music for as long as I've been doing sound. Two of the folk festivals I am involved in use the standard SM58 and SM57 combo on side-stages only, with usually KM184 and SM81 for general instrument mics on the main stages. Now there are a few bands who have "SM57" on their rider, but never have said a word when we put a SM81 or some such in front of their instrument. Do we have 57's in the kit? Of course, but we rarely bother to pull them out.

I'm just saying i found this super interesting and relevant. Wish I had known about the survey, so i could have taken it as well. Well Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back