Clear-Com KB-701 Wall Station

drankin

We have a Clear-Com system less than a year old. We have 8 belt packs and four wall stations. Recently, there was a nearby lightning strike and soon after we noticed that three of the four wall stations are not working. It appears the rest of the system is fine. With a show coming up and with Clear-Com tech closed for the weekend, I wonder if anybody has any advice. Are the wall stations fused? They are over 90 days old so are apparently out of warranty. Would it be best to try to find a local electronic repair person? Does Clear-Com offer backup units until the originals are reparied? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Clear-com offers 24/7 support for anyone with service contracts (if an AV contractor installed them) of you have an extended warranty on them.

Beltpacks and wall-mount stations are all powered with a DC voltage through the audio cables, with no connection to 120V. No fuses are used to my knowledge. What "hopefully" happened is that your intercom power supply (which is the only device connected to 120V power) was fried, but everything else is still safe.

Clear-com offers 24/7 support for anyone with service contracts (if an AV contractor installed them) of you have an extended warranty on them.

Beltpacks and wall-mount stations are all powered with a DC voltage through the audio cables, with no connection to 120V. No fuses are used to my knowledge. What "hopefully" happened is that your intercom power supply (which is the only device connected to 120V power) was fried, but everything else is still safe.

Power supply is fine. Three of the wall stations fried. No extended warrantee.

They give you a 90 day warranty? That's a joke of a warranty if it is the case. Are you sure it's a 90 day on hardware? I don't think I've ever seen anything with less than a year of a warranty.

• Cables, accessories, components, and consumable items have a limited warranty of 90 days.

• Headsets, handsets, microphones, and spare parts have a limited warranty of one year.

UHF wireless IFB products have a limited warranty of one year.

UHF wireless intercom systems have a limited warranty of three years.

• All other Clear-Com and Drake brand systems and products, including beltpacks, have a limited warranty of two years

---

My take on that is you fall into the bottom category. As the user stations are not a consumable or cable. So it should be two years

My take on that is you fall into the bottom category. As the user stations are not a consumable or cable. So it should be two years

The other question is how Clear-Com defines "limited warranty". I don't know how they address it, but there's several other manufacturers who specifically exclude "acts of god" (like lightning strikes) from their warranty coverage. Doesn't help in the short term, but your insurance may cover the damage if Clear-Com excludes it.

Take the thing apart and inspect it carefully with good light and a magnifying glass. Check both sides of the circuit board. Often times lightning damage shows itself visually with a a soot trail, blown up or discolored parts, or burned open traces. Replace open fuses. Replace any socketed chips because those are the ones the manufacturer knows are vulnerable to damage from nasties coming in on the external wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back