Conventional Fixtures Color Media Inventory poll

What's in your gel inventory?

• Total voters
Today I used 10 sheets each of L201 and X119. I've said before, if any manufacturer could combine these two, they'd claim the corporate meeting market, and save the end user half the cost, and more importantly, half the labor.

A) Then the manufacturers get to sell you half as much gel....

B) I get plots/hookups all the time that have Rosco 132 or 119 added to the color for assorted S4 fixtures. I always revise the paperwork to indicate separate frames, so as to be readily able to remove the frost when the designer figures out that some fixtures soften fine without help. I also keep a tom of both frosts pre-famed and ready to go, which helps the process.

I just bought up a bunch of Apollo gel for our last show. The students like the PerfGel better, the way the swatchbook is organized, and the names.

I like Apollo as a company and prefer to buy from them over Rosco and Lee. We beat this topic to death in another thread, but I paid shipping on a Rosco swatchbook a couple months ago and it just showed up last week. Meanwhile, Apollo sent me a half-dozen in a week after me asking them. I'll take my business to the company that treats me the best and that happens to be Apollo.

7) PROFIT
I believe the profits from some, if not all, of the below, are donated to charity.

Skelton Exotic Sangria
Tipton Blue
Tharon Delft Blue
Hemsley Blue
Fisher Fuchsia
Baldassari Blue
Billington Pink
Dempster Open White (who is Dempster and why does he/she get a monopoly on what used to be called "Clear"?
Alice Blue (famous LD from the fifties, Alice Kramden)
Gallo Gold
Light Relief Yellow
Parry Sky Blue (used to be regular R68, Rosco's way of honoring Chris Parry?)
Winkler Blue (Ayyyyy!)

Any I missed?

A) Then the manufacturers get to sell you half as much gel....
Yes, but A manufacturer without much penetration into this market would get lots of sales instead of 0-1%.

Last edited:
I believe the profits from some, if not all, of the below, are donated to charity.

Skelton Exotic Sangria
Tipton Blue
Tharon Delft Blue
Hemsley Blue
Fisher Fuchsia
Baldassari Blue
Billington Pink
Dempster Open White (who is Dempster and why does he/she get a monopoly on what used to be called "Clear"?
Alice Blue (famous LD from the fifties, Alice Kramden)
Gallo Gold
Light Relief Yellow
Parry Sky Blue (used to be regular R68)
Winkler Blue (Ayyyyy!)

Any I missed?

According to the Rosco Website (which might not have been updated in over a year, considering some colors that came out in 2008 were still listed as "new"), R313 (Light Relief Yellow), R359 and R361 are the only ones I saw as being listed to a specific charity. However, they could be being secret about their good deeds, which I strongly disapprove of, as now we will have to speculate for days about them doing that or not. ;)

Today I used 10 sheets each of L201 and X119. I've said before, if any manufacturer could combine these two, they'd claim the corporate meeting market, and save the end user half the cost, and more importantly, half the labor.

L718 appears to be diffusion combined with tome CTB, and L717 comes right after L201 in my swatchbook and appears to be L201 and slightly tougher frost than 119. You could try that.

Last edited:
There is L736, Twickenham Green, probably named for the Studios of the same name

I just bought up a bunch of Apollo gel for our last show. The students like the PerfGel better, the way the swatchbook is organized, and the names.

I like Apollo as a company and prefer to buy from them over Rosco and Lee. We beat this topic to death in another thread, but I paid shipping on a Rosco swatchbook a couple months ago and it just showed up last week. Meanwhile, Apollo sent me a half-dozen in a week after me asking them. I'll take my business to the company that treats me the best and that happens to be Apollo.

Agree on all points. To me, it seems like Apollo makes that extra effort to do all of the little customer service things better than anyone else with great pricing. I have absolutely nothing against Rosco or Lee, but Apollo wins from my experience.

I haven't tried the PerfGel yet, but judging at how close in cost it is to a regular 20x24" uncut sheet, I'm definitely going to give it a try the next gel order.

The rental company do a lot of work with keep mostly Posco and Lee but we also do national touring shows that spec many different brands. We did one this past season that used a combo of Rosco, Lee, Gam and Apollo. It turned into a nightmare when the local LD told a couple of hands to cut x number of x colors. The part he left out was to write on them what the number was so you tell what it was after it was cut. After a ton of time with the internet comparing colors we got the show gelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back