Color Temperatures on FOH

Sorry if this is a really really dumb question!

In our theatre our FOH bar has 10 Selecon Acclaim Profile Zoomspots.
They are all gelled with a very light diffusion filter and nothing else.

Now when I have visited more professional theatres. I have noticed that their FOH bar with their profiles has a mix of Cool colour Temperature lights and Warm Colour temperature lights. Usually in pairs. I originally thought this was so they could have a warm look on stage or a cool look. But then I noticed that usually these lights where on at the same time.

So once again sorry if this is a stupid question that I should know the answer to.
Was Just wondering.

by lighting one side warm and the other side cool you get a more 3d feel, one side is key lighting, to suggest the presumed natural light source, the other side is fill lighting to enable the viewer to see the actors expressions, it is just more interesting than a single colour wash.

What you basically have is 5 pairs of lights covering 5 zones across the width of the stage, another technique if you have the fixtures and dimmer circuits available is to double hang one side and for example having one set a warm color and the other set a cool color from that angle and the opposite angle is a neutral color, say a light blue for cool, a light amber for warm and a light lavender for the neutral. This gives you multiple looks.

Also, these subtle colors help make skin tones and makeup look more natural. Open white sources tend to make people and scenery look flat and washed out (David Ashton touched on that a bit).

The diffusion is there so you can focus those fixtures with a sharp edge, then add the diffusion to blend the edges together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back