Computer Lighting Software Question

KBToys82

Hey everyone, first post.

I have a Lehigh DSQ30 light board that only has 1 DMX input, which is fine since we only have 32 dimmers.

I'm trying to modernize our setup and start incorporating more computer and technology in our production so students can go to college knowing basics if they want to pursue lighting/sound as a career.

I noticed that software, if you have an adapter like the ENTTEC DMX USB Pro, can read/send DMX signals and have my own lightning design (I'm not a fan of not having a computer screen on our board.)

My question is this, does the ENTTEC DMX and other adapters have the ability to plug directly into the DMX wire, while sending/receiving information from both the computer and the light board at the same time? As in, my software would be able so see the %'s of the board if I use the faders, while also being able to control it from the computer? I don't want the light board to be a table weight, it will be used for some things so I don't want to disconnect it all the time. But if I have to make a small edit to my cue, I don't want to have to start from scratch because I can't see any values of the existing channels.

Basically the diagram would look like this:

DMX wall plate <----->USB ADAPTER <----> Computer
<----> Light Board

Thanks everyone.

BTW, if the answer is yes, what kind of software/hardware would you recommend. Budget is almost non-existant.

In this scenario, the computer is the light board. There are some scenarios where a computer and board can work together, but not for your Lehigh desk. Some companies have offline editors but I'm not sure Lehigh does. The offline editors simply allow you to record a show on software and then load it into a desk for playback later.

Via tapatalk

This diagram from the Enntec people may help. The trick thing may be finding software that monitors the DMX signals and adjusts itself. I don't know of it being a regular feature.

There is also another DMX wall mount that isn't too far from where I would place a computer. Anyone think that if I hook up a USB adapter for DMX and plug the computer into there, that I would be able to read channel/dimmer values on whatever software that is out there? Or is software more for just writing, rather than reading values.

I think it's safe to say almost all the software packages, including mine, are designed to source DMX. That is, they are designed to work either instead of a console or to provide signals to a console for it to send out. Having said that, I do seem to recall seeing somewhere a 'sniffer' program that would display what is being sent. If I can wake up those brain cells and come up with it, I'll post immediately.

If all you want to do is monitor the DMX values being sent, Enttec's Sniffer might be the best for you.

If you want the computer to be active in controling the lights, I believe QLC+ does accept DMX input. You'd need an adaptor that supports one universe input and one universe output (or two adaptors that can be used at the same time). You could then capture the input universe values while programing the show on the computer. A more advanced usage would be to use the input universe to control submasters in the software effectively turning your light board into a fader wing. I'm sure configuring QLC+ would take some time, but it could become a very powerful controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back