Controlling house lights without a unison

lwinters630

I am looking at a potential set up for a small church that is adding an element console, Ethernet, and LED fixtures for the stage. However their budget will not allow a unison box and touch stations. They want to control the house lights in the board and when the board is off be able to hit a switch on the wall (like normal) and have the house lights come on. They don't have to dim, so maybe a relay?

Has anyone done something like this?

We have a bastardized system like this. We purchased a used ETC reflection and used it as our houselight controller. The reflection has a 0-10v input on it. I grabbed a 9v power supply, some cable, and a lightswitch. When you flipped the switch it turns a sub on and turns on the houselights. We have a "lock out" page that we run during shows that keeps the switch from turning on the houselights. It actually works rather well. It is a bit of a kludge... but there you go.

I would ask though if your houselights need to be tied into your fire alarm... many codes require it these days. This system won't easily be able to do that.

our system is some what the same as footers. We have a four channel wall mount dimmer from Lightronics. It has four memories per dimmer so that there are 16 memories that can be activated by switch closure. We have four rows of house lights. If you enter from a hallway near the stage, there is a button, that will turn on just the row nearest the stage apron at 70 percent. there is a rehearsal button back stage that turns on the first two rows at full. The is a button in the ticket booth that brings everything to full, so that patrons can see where their seats are located as they purchase tickets during the day. there is a four channel Garage door opener attached so that during tech rehearsal, various combinations occur sitting at the light board in the house. button one is set to activate a relay in latch mode, the opens the DMX connection. button two turns on the first two rows, button three is just the third row that is directly over the lighting board at tech, and that goes to 50 percent. button four is all rows to full. When DMX is present all of the memories are overwritten. The one exception is the emergency input, which is from a relay closure from the fire alarm. When that is activated, everything goes to full instantaneously. It must be activated a second time to get it to go off. each memory can be programmed to fade up and fade down times.
during a show, there is a button in the booth, that is pressed to bring the house to full. Only with DMX from the board present it is held in memory but not seen. The board is in control. When the board is shut down, the memory takes over and the house is at full, so that the audience is not left in the dark.
This is Lightronics architectural model. I got it on ebay for $220. The new on street price is approx $1200. Another $30 for the garage door opener system. It took about 5 hours to install next to the breaker panel for the house lights.
Now of course there has to be a down side. to all of this system. first it only comes with the DMX address for channels 1 thru 4. To have an off, for the lights, one of the memories for each dimmer has to be programmed at "0". There is no keypad for programming the memories, it has to be done with three switches in a sequential order. And each memory has to have dim up and dim down and well as level programmed. It can be quite frustrating. I contacted Lightronics and had them burn me a new PROM with channels 201 thru 204, as those are the channels that we had been using for years with a different system.
I paid less for the entire system than I would for a controller from Fleenor. The system has been in now for 8 years, and not a glitch.

The Lightronics SR516 will do what your want. It also goes in the DMX line between your console and the dimmers. You have 16 programmable presets available that you set up on your console and record in the unit. There are a variety of button and slider stations available for remote locations that activate the presets stored in the SR516. I've installed quite a few houselight systems using these and they work very well. As dramtech mentioned, Lightronics will do some custom programming if you need it.
The dfd Preset 10 is also a good choice if you need something more compact but doesn't have the variety of remote stations available.
Disclaimer: Lightronics dealer.

I would look at Doug Fleenor's products. It looks like the preset architectural 2, or the preset 10 portable would work for you. DMX would run out of the console, pass through one of these boxes, and then onto the house lights dimmers.

http://www.dfd.com/p10a2.html
http://www.dfd.com/p10p.html

One issue is that there is not a dimmer on the house system. I noticed that DFD had an 8 pack that looks like it will work with these.
http://www.dfd.com/pdf/dmx8dim-data.pdf
So if I am thinking correct, I can take a DMX from the ETCnet2 node and run it to the dmx8 pack, then connect the architectural p10a2 at 2 of the doors and the p10p at the booth. When the board is off then the touch stations will be active, and when the board is on then it will control house as well as LEDs via the ETCnet2.

Comments anyone?

The Lightronics SR516 will do what your want. It also goes in the DMX line between your console and the dimmers. You have 16 programmable presets available that you set up on your console and record in the unit. There are a variety of button and slider stations available for remote locations that activate the presets stored in the SR516. I've installed quite a few houselight systems using these and they work very well. As dramtech mentioned, Lightronics will do some custom programming if you need it.
The dfd Preset 10 is also a good choice if you need something more compact but doesn't have the variety of remote stations available.
Disclaimer: Lightronics dealer.

I'll check this out also.

One issue is that there is not a dimmer on the house system. I noticed that DFD had an 8 pack that looks like it will work with these.
http://www.dfd.com/pdf/dmx8dim-data.pdf
So if I am thinking correct, I can take a DMX from the ETCnet2 node and run it to the dmx8 pack, then connect the architectural p10a2 at 2 of the doors and the p10p at the booth. When the board is off then the touch stations will be active, and when the board is on then it will control house as well as LEDs via the ETCnet2.

Comments anyone?

How are the houselights controlled now?

All of these solutions assume that the houselights are controlled via DMX in some way, either ran to each fixture if they are LED or on a dimmer. You might quickly find that after adding dimming you will get to the same cost or close to the same cost as unison with a rather bastardized setup.

How are the houselights controlled now?

All of these solutions assume that the houselights are controlled via DMX in some way, either ran to each fixture if they are LED or on a dimmer. You might quickly find that after adding dimming you will get to the same cost or close to the same cost as unison with a rather bastardized setup.
The house is not on a dimmer, it is on a wall switch. Ultimately they want to change the house fixtures to LED bulbs but have not found a good solution. They may have to put off the LED house option and stay with standard bulbs or deal with the "pop" at 10% out.

If I take the wall switch out and run it to the dimmer pack, I will have power for the dimmer pack from the line leg and connect to the load leg to control the lights.

I hear what you are saying as I am seeing the component cost mounting up. I would not want to put in something that almost cost the same and not supported as well. That is why I am exploring options.

Thanks for you input.

Unison systems are surprisingly affordable when you factor in what you are getting. If you need to re-run power anyway might as well do it once and do it right.

ETC's unison systems are split into 4 areas; aero, echo, paradigm, mosaic. Paradigm is the biggest to my knowledge. Aero and echo start small and can finish big. Mosaic I don't know at all. Echo or aero sound like they might be good.

How many house lights of what size (wattage, but also throw and spacing if you can make a guess)? I think I'd need to know what I'm controlling before offering a solution, since these seem to just be switched now. Is ETC Link around or is hat now Echo controls? Or is Link not SmartLink - another simple option for house light controls with ETC gear. Somehow, I think Smart link will be the answer - a few stations and maybe 8 channels and 4 presets? Used it in a black box once, and maybe a small church. It does presume that the house lights have dimmers in the rack. Even with a separate dimmer pack/rack, might make sense. And then consider a Smart Dimmer installation pack (or packs - that's why we need to know what the house light loads are.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back