Control/Dimming Converting DMX to Micro-Plex

Hi,
I'm new to this but was recomended by a friend of a friend.
I'm producing a show at a reallllyy small and old theater. Their lighting system crashed before their last show.
Their system is controlled by MICRO-PLEX.
I have a DMX light board and was wondering if it's at all possible to CONVERT FROM MICRO-PLEX to DMX?
Please respond if you have any idea.
Thanks
Dan

Yes, it is possible. Unfortunately, it is not a do-it-yourself project. You will have to buy a conver like this one here from Doug Fleenor. I'm sure somone will chime in later with some different options for you.

The real question here is, what all is in the system that the Micro-plex(MP) :sick: is running. I know that NSI has packs, and small dimmer boards that run entirely off MP, and I also know that they make converters for the system. I would have to say that if there is a lot on the system that is being run by MP, I would really consider putting in a word and seeing if they would let you upgrade to DMX. FOR REALS!!!!

Just looking at the owner's manual on that converter epimetheus noted (NSI I/F 501) and that has some REALLY NEAT features! Specifically, it has an RS232 (computer serial port) input that would allow you to "print" scenes to the DMX system using simple ASCII characters! Although baud rate is limited to 9600, you only send the changes, so speed would not be a problem.

Some simple text editing, and you are limited only by your imagination and hard drive size.

Code ledger:
ASCII characters supported: F D G R - @ + : . 0-9
Fxx:xx.x (FADERATE, x=fade time in minutes : seconds . tenths),
Dccc-ccc@xxx (DIMMER LEVEL, c=channel number, -=to, +=and, x= level)
G (EXECUTE) R (RESET or BLACKOUT)
Carriage return after each command. Max fade time is 50 minutes.

Priced at $320

The I/F-501 is a nice little converter. I used it for adding NSI Lumanet remote panels to our microplex system. I also played around with it as a DMX to MPX converter with my Bluelite X1 Mini. We have one in use at my current church as well, though I'm not sure in what capacity yet.

proxy.php

Check out, if you have a budget for it, the Doug Fleenor DMX to Microplex Converter. I know Full Compass had it for like $600. Not sure if you can find it much cheaper, but it's been absolutely fantastic for me when I go into a bar that has a all mpx dimmers/relays.

+1 for the Doug Fleenor converter. He makes great products and is a DMX genius / all around great guy.

Also, be sure to stop by the New Member Board and introduce yourself the the rest of the community here at CB.

~Dave

You can get them even cheaper from eBay $100 for 16 channels, the downside is most are not loopable. Make sure you get one with the correct voltage.
Nick

how would i go from microplex to DMX 512
I have 6 NSI microplex units now and I just got the wholehog PC 3 to use as my lighting system
You don't want to go from microplex to DMX. Your Hog3PC outputs DMX, so you want a DMX-to-Microplex converter (NSI/Leviton IF-501 or DFD DMX2MPX as noted above) to speak microplex to your dimmers. OR, depending on which NSI dimmer packs you have, Leviton may have an inexpensive kit to convert them to DMX: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/16260-nsi-dds-dimmer-dmx.html .

FWIW, the owner/operator DMXtools is a long-dormant member of CB. Someone say hi from us if you talk to him.

FWIW, the owner/operator DMXtools is a long-dormant member of CB. Someone say hi from us if you talk to him.

Good to know! I only talked to him when I first setup my account and placed an opening order. Not much DMX-lator sales going on, but I will certainly say Hello next time I talk to him. He seemed like a great guy, just a one man show running a small business - something I can certainly relate to.

I just helped an associate that was trying to control use a DMX controller to control some NSI DDS-6000 Dimmer Packs .
I looked at the manual for the DDS-6000 (which has the ability to be controlled by both Micro-plex and DMX) and found it only required a single 8-pin chip (a 75176 if your interested - about $1.00-$1.25 each) needed to be inserted into an existing socket, and the Microplex connector could be moved to the DMX side to make the connection to DMX controller rather than the Microplex controller.
You can also buy pre-made adapter/upgrade kits (~$60.00-$100.00) that include the chip as well as the proper 5-pin DMX connectors.

If you can tell me what the model number of the Microplex dimmer pack/rack, I'll take a look to see if it could be used directly from DMX rather than having to use a converter to translate the signals.

I'm another happy customer of the DMX-lator from DMX tools. We had a bit of a rough start to our business relationship but I have been very happy with the product and the service. In fact about a year after ordering my first unit, an install customer upgraded consoles. When I purchased the translator for that job I was asked if I had lost my first unit and a crazy offer was made. I of course turned it down but it's that kind of service and thought that counts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back