Cord gauge and length question

JLNorthGA

We will be renting our space for a production of "Elixir of Love" by Donzetti.
Anyway, I looked at the requested lighting plot. We will be using all of our circuits on the 1st and 2nd Electrics about the stage. Unfortunately, this leaves me two circuits shy for the streetlamps that the director would like to have. This means I have to run the circuits from the catwalk. The run (not in a straight line) is about 150' or so. They will be using 150 W incandescent bulbs.

100' 14 gauge cords should handle the amperage for a 150 W bulb (1.25 amps or so) - we actually have these on hand.

Any other thoughts?

Not SO cable so technically you can't do it with those.

Just for the sake of arguing, he didn't say what kind of cable it was, so its my understanding that if it was actually 14AWG SOOW, it would be ok based upon the load?

But yes, I would expect what he has to be SJOOW, or more likely, SJTW.

Just for the sake of arguing, he didn't say what kind of cable it was, so its my understanding that if it was actually 14AWG SOOW, it would be ok based upon the load?

But yes, I would expect what he has to be SJOOW, or more likely, SJTW.
The cords are SJTW extension cords that someone donated to us when they discovered that they weren't suitable for the use for which they had bought them. I believe it was powering an electric power trimmer. They ended up w/ heavier gauge extension cords and donated these to us.

The problem, of course, is the "J"

I won't advise you on the type of jacket that your cable should use, but I will just say that 14ga is plenty for your load and the distance, and that SJ is acceptable for temporary use an much more rigorous work environments than a theater.

I won't advise you on the type of jacket that your cable should use, but I will just say that 14ga is plenty for your load and the distance, and that SJ is acceptable for temporary use an much more rigorous work environments than a theater.

That does not make it legal. The general public is not entering construction sites. Section 520 of the NEC is very direct when it comes to this.

That does not make it legal. The general public is not entering construction sites. Section 520 of the NEC is very direct when it comes to this.
I never said it was or was not legal. The OP never originally said it was not SO cable. I try not to make too many assumptions, because it makes come off as arrogant.
The information I provided, was that 14ga copper was sufficient for the given load and length, and that SJ was acceptable in other industries. All of my statements are true.
I also stated that I would NOT advise a cable type; this had already been covered by earlier responses.

right, But you are implying that it is ok.
I never said it was or was not legal. The OP never originally said it was not SO cable. I try not to make too many assumptions, because it makes come off as arrogant.
The information I provided, was that 14ga copper was sufficient for the given load and length, and that SJ was acceptable in other industries. All of my statements are true.
I also stated that I would NOT advise a cable type; this had already been covered by earlier responses.
Right, but you imply that its ok to use it, with your statement that its "ok in other industries". Other industries have different parameters of course, and being used in a public performance space isn't one of them.

right, But you are implying that it is ok.

Right, but you imply that its ok to use it, with your statement that its "ok in other industries". Other industries have different parameters of course, and being used in a public performance space isn't one of them.

It would be just fine to use in a theater carpentry, for use with a saw, drill, portable work light, etc.

We will be renting our space for a production of "Elixir of Love" by Donzetti.
Anyway, I looked at the requested lighting plot. We will be using all of our circuits on the 1st and 2nd Electrics about the stage. Unfortunately, this leaves me two circuits shy for the streetlamps that the director would like to have. This means I have to run the circuits from the catwalk. The run (not in a straight line) is about 150' or so. They will be using 150 W incandescent bulbs.

100' 14 gauge cords should handle the amperage for a 150 W bulb (1.25 amps or so) - we actually have these on hand.

Any other thoughts?

14AWG is plenty of copper (actually about 15 times the ampacity of the expected load). However, it needs to be an extra hard usage cord (Type S or derivatives) for use in a theatre.

ST

Wow - what an education. I am serious. I always thought an extension cord was an extension cord. I hadn't realized that there were so many types.
A long while back (6 years or more), I made an extension cord for my cabinet saw in my home shop. Little did I realize that I have done it correctly w/ the heavier duty cord (SOOW). I figured I should buy the best I could if it were going to be on the shop floor for most of the time.

14AWG is plenty of copper (actually about 15 times the ampacity of the expected load). However, it needs to be an extra hard usage cord (Type S or derivatives) for use in a theatre.

ST
Since the original question has been addressed, I'd like to ask about something from a different, but related thread.

I'm building a Ghost Light and I'd prefer to use the less expensive SJ cord as the fixture will only be using a LED and will only be operational when the house is empty and will be plugged into a standard wall outlet, however I know that since it is in a theater and the cord will be over 10' I should not use a J cord. Fine with me.

Then it was brought up that the ghost light that is sold by Altman uses a 15' SJ cord.
Can you explain if and why it is good enough for Altman, but not for me? (not sure if that came off as sarcastic, but I genuinely am interested in the answer :))

Since the original question has been addressed, I'd like to ask about something from a different, but related thread.

I'm building a Ghost Light and I'd prefer to use the less expensive SJ cord as the fixture will only be using a LED and will only be operational when the house is empty and will be plugged into a standard wall outlet, however I know that since it is in a theater and the cord will be over 10' I should not use a J cord. Fine with me.

Then it was brought up that the ghost light that is sold by Altman uses a 15' SJ cord.
Can you explain if and why it is good enough for Altman, but not for me? (not sure if that came off as sarcastic, but I genuinely am interested in the answer :))

From NEC section 520.68(A)(2):

(2) Stand Lamps. Listed, hard usage cord shall be permitted
to supply stand lamps where the cord is not subject to
physical damage and is protected by an overcurrent device
rated at not over 20 amperes.

Note that there is no length limit in this application of hard usage cord. In addition, I am not aware of a 10 foot limit on hard usage cord anywhere in article 520. We have a 20 foot limit for breakouts, a 3 foot limit for luminaire supply cords, adapters, and twofers. But no 10 foot limit.

ST

From NEC section 520.68(A)(2):

(2) Stand Lamps. Listed, hard usage cord shall be permitted
to supply stand lamps where the cord is not subject to
physical damage and is protected by an overcurrent device
rated at not over 20 amperes.

Note that there is no length limit in this application of hard usage cord. In addition, I am not aware of a 10 foot limit on hard usage cord anywhere in article 520. We have a 20 foot limit for breakouts, a 3 foot limit for luminaire supply cords, adapters, and twofers. But no 10 foot limit.

ST
I was referring to the limit on cord lengths for J type cords.

I was referring to the limit on cord lengths for J type cords.

"Extra hard usage cord" is S and it's variation. whereas "hard usage cord" is SJ and likewise it's variations.

So apparently, under the code, SJOOW is permissible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

"Extra hard usage cord" is S and it's variation. whereas "hard usage cord" is SJ and likewise it's variations.

So apparently, under the code, SJOOW is permissible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Got it! I believe I was thinking of the 3' limit on luminaire supply cords.

I've always heard SJ referred to by the slang of "Junior cords", never as "hard usage cord", so there was some confusion on my end. Thanks for helping clear this up!

16/3 Type S or SO would be fine. Obviously, current is not the problem. In theater, it is more about what prop (or other item) might run over it and damage it, or how long it can be dragged around and not end up with the jacket torn.

Whatever you do, don't get any SE cable. That stuff is a ****** to coil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back