Creating 3D Lightning Bolt Effect

ebutt13

Hi,

I'm working on a production which involves having a tree struck by lightning and crashing to the ground. Currently, we've designed the mechanism for making the tree split (including pyro placed behind it for the spark), however we're still spinning ideas for how to achieve the lightning bolt effect.
An initial suggestion was to project a lightning bolt gobo (using a strobe) onto the cyclorama behind the tree. However, the director wants the audience to actually see the bolt appear in thin air.

My proposal is to have a scrim placed directly behind the tree and then project onto it using either a gobo or a standard HD projector. This, in theory, would create a sense of depth between the tree, lightning bolt and cyclorama (which will be lit with a dark blue from the bottom).

The only problem is that we dont want the lightning pattern to duplicate on the cyclorama. Does anybody know of way to avoid this problem? Perhaps the effect could be projected from an angle...?

Also, what colour should we use for the scrim? Will the strobed gobo look realistic on the scrim?
There will be other trees placed in front, creating a forest setting.

Many Thanks,

Ed

Honestly, being that near an actual lightning bolt, you would only see a bright light, not the bolt itself. If you must project the image of a lightning bolt, keep your angle steep, thus burying the duplicate image much lower which would likely be blocked by the tree itself.

I assume that you have a licensed pyro technician who will be doing the spark. Especially since you are considering having a scrim so close to the effect.

I think ruinexplorer meant that realistically, if you were actually standing near a tree as it was hit by lightning you would not see a jagged bolt of electricity, only a very bright flash of light. You would have to be miles away to see the shape of the bolt.

Yes, that is what I meant. I once had a tree across from my house struck by lightning. I was actually quite surprised at just how bright and loud it was to be so close to a strike.

@ruinexplorer I see. However, I'm sure most audience members won't be aware of this and nothing implies lightning striking a tree more than a huge lightning bolt across the stage. It would also make for a cool effect.

We do have a large fly space so that shouldn't be a problem. Do you think projecting on black will be a concern? - we want the bolt to be as bright as possible.
Also, do you think a strobe gobo would be more or less effective than a projector effect?

Thanks

You could also try three (or four, or five) instruments with different lighting gobos focused at the same place on the cyc. Flash them rapidly and maybe you can make it look like the lightning is moving from the sky to the tree — a kind of stop motion effect. Unless you've got a really bright projector this will probably give you a better effect.

Yeah, I had that idea. I could even then design a lightning effect in After Effects and project it onto the tree. It might make the lightning look less static and give some movement to it.

Have you discussed it with your Pyro expert? That person may have some ideas.

I understand what it's like to have a director who wants a specific look, but the idea of seeing the lightning bolt is one that sounds good but in my opinion will not look good. I am yet to see any big professional show physically show lightning because it just looks silly seeing the gobos or projections. Its one of those things that your brain knows what it should look like, and seeing a series of gobos flash across the stage just doesn't look right. My vote would be to do it like the pro's do and rent some Lightning Strikes, which will BLAST the stage with a brief flash of light that looks like the real thing.

A few thoughts

First. Intensity will be a big problem. Lightening is very bright. Using a video projector is not likely to give you the concentrated lumens you need for this effect. A strobe in a S4 is probably your best bet. Alternatively a discharge lamp moving light with a gobo would also work. Whichever is brighter.

Laying in haze for the effect is a non starter as you will see the beam from the projection, not the strike in air.

A scrim could work, but a scrim is a poor projection surface. This makes the intensity issue worse.

You might want to consider lighting the scrim from behind in order to avoid spill on the cyc,

If this strike is one of several in the scene ( instead of a bolt from the blue) you might want to think about doing lightening projections on the cyc, and then a bright flash for the tree strike,

I guess I'll just have to experiment with these different methods. I had considered using a powerful strobe but the director wanted an effect which implied the tree had been struck by lightning.

I've seen somebody else attempt a similar effect by strobing thin lightning gobos onto the tree itself, followed by a pyro explosion. The effect is quite convincing.

Yeah, I think I'll try using a combination of projections and strobo gobes. The projections for some "fluid" lightning strikes on the tree itself and then the strobes elsewhere.

Are you suggesting strobing the gobo from behind the scrim? Would that work?

Has anybody here ever tried lighting a gobo with a strobe. Does it look realistic?

A strobe cap on an ERS with a lightning bolt gobo is frequently used.
Also, if you ever wanted an excuse to rent in a Sharpy or three, this would be a great time, but no doubt expensive. With haze added, I would think a quick flash from one or more closely clustered Sharpies, (or perhaps a tight cluster of pin spots or ACL's) would give a very believable shaft of lightning hitting the tree.

If haze/smoke is an option, have you considered just having the brightest, tightest beam you can get shining straight down onto the tree? Like others have said, seeing a lightning strike from any somewhat close range just looks like a bright white vertical beam.

Edit - Apparently I didn't even notice JohnD's post immediately above mine.

do it like the pro's do and rent some Lightning Strikes, which will BLAST the stage with a brief flash of light that looks like the real thing.

Keep in mind the term "relative darkness" when lighting strikes, everything looks like it disappears. However, actually your eye is semi blinded and drawn to the brightest area of the stage.

Perhaps a two stage look, one that rips a super bright split second flash lighing up the entire up stage area (maybe the CYC) using vivid r or Lightning Strikes. That will make everything mid to down stage "appear" dark. Then in that moment, hidden in the tree, a Lightning Strikes blasts at the audience blinding them for a split second. It is so fast that they will believe they "saw" lighting strike the tree.

Theatre is not having to have them see it, but only believe they did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back