Custom Cable Loom, Seeking Heat-Shrink or Molded Rubber Tees for Mid-Span Breakouts

A splice in shrink tubing isn't safe and will not meet electrical code. Factory made two-fers with connectors are the only way I know to do it.

For data I suspect you can splice how you want and there is other way or boots, but for power if fixed location there is code compliant ways. Really for the most part is this a install or something 28 days will be changed? If doesn't sould like It will be changed, perhaps wired and conduit outlets for power and data would be best.

I'm not sure I understand why you want to splice anything so I'll describe the most common cable looms I've seen for power & DMX to LED's and see if that would work for you, if not tell us why.

The looms are usually fed by one line of power due to LED's low draw. Power is daisy chained down the line from fixture to fixture in what if you took it out of the loom would look like one really long cable with a lot of female connectors spaced out as you go down the line. As ship has mentioned before in other threads there are connectors specifically made to have two cables going through the strain relief (one 3 conductor cable in and one out). Sadly it's not very common to see them actually used in this type of application. DMX also daisy chains, but because you shouldn't splice DMX and the fact that most LED fixtures have both a DMX in and out you see an individual jumper go along with the power to jump from fixture to fixture. You take all this cable and tape it together so that the loom runs along and at each fixture there are 4 lines that drop down with a total of 3 connectors per fixture (power in and out going into one connector and individual data in and out cables). This runs along until you get to the end were there is only power in and data in for the last fixture and hopefully you remember to use a terminator in that fixture.

A few random thoughts about this style of loom:
  • It's minimizes failure points, but because power is daisy chained a problem in one connector can drop power to the fixtures down the line.
  • It's a matter of preference how close to the fixture the power connector goes. Some people like it down by the end of the DMX cables, others like it a bit higher up so you don't have to cable manage the power tail coming from the fixture.
  • If your fixtures take an IEC or other type of connector that you can't rewire with both an in and an out it's not uncommon to see an appropriately rated intermidiate connector (like a NEMA L5-15R) wired into the loom and then a short jumper running from that connector down the the light. It adds failure points, but is easier to maintain than crimps or soldering.
There are some weak spots to this style of loom, but it's the most common thing I've seen used. Lastly no matter what you do I recommend friction tape for taping ANY cable loom. It leaves less residue, holds just as well as e-tape if not better, and is easier to remove if you need to replace a damaged cable.

Same question was just asked on Stagecraft Mailing List - I suspect by same poster - and the contrasts are very interesting. I'd judge the above responses right on target and very good (and not much different in spirit and intent than mine on SML). If someone is really interested, I'll forward that thread, off line.

I did wonder if something like the Lex multi receptacle cords might reduce bulk, but probably not less than $50/drop.

Sometimes you just can't do something the right way cheap. So, like pyro in night clubs where the acoustic treatment was done cheap, just don't do it.

The most common thing I've seen is just a normal L5-15R, L6-15R, or a L6-20R depending on supply voltage and amperage. When the connector is assembled the matching leads for input and output lines are put into the screw terminals together. The easiest way I can explain this is to say you twist the two black wires together, the two white wires together, and the two green wires together. Then you assemble the connector normally with your three "conductors". There is a bit of debate as to if twisting the wires together before you put them in the screw terminal is actually the best practice but that's a very different conversation and in my experience more based on preference than anything else.

It sounds like a home built version of lLEX's listed multi-receptacle cord, but do you have a link to a receptacle that is listed for two cords?

I know there are Stagepin connectors for such a use, someone makes them, I want to say TMB or Union, but I have to look. As for regular 5-15? No idea.

Something else I have seen done is festoon stringers with pig noses in the sockets to power music stand lights. Of course this only provided NEMA 1-15 outlets.

I get what the OP is trying to do, but he would probably have better cost effective luck with LEX e-strings and cube taps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back