Control/Dimming Dimmers on Non Dim

The title says it all. Long story short, how bad of an idea is it to operate something like an ETC smart bar off of a non-dimmed circuit from an old CD-80 rack?

Part of me says, "it'll be fine, since it's just a relay at that point." Another part of me says, "but think of the power factor!!!" A third part says, "go to sleep, you idiot, and let other people do the math, since they've already done this before."

I listened to the third part.

Depends. Is this an actual relay pack which "clicks" on and off, or is it a dimmer pack set to a non-dim profile? Very important distinction.

If it's a true all-or-nothing physical relay, all is well as long as you don't overload the circuit. If it's a dimmer set to non-dim, it isn't a relay at all; it is a dimmer responding to either 0 or FL. In which case, you should listen to the second guy.

Essentially, there is some chopping of the waveform that goes on when power is processed through a dimmed circuit even if that circuit is set to FL and never actually dimmed. This can indeed make your SmartBar very unhappy to the point where it can actually cause significant damage to the unit. Might not be fine.

It's a true relay - CD-80, remember? By CD-80, I mean original CD-80. From the 80s. If you listen hard enough, you can hear the click.

The fact that it's a CD-80 doesn't tell me much. Does the circuit you're using allow dimming capability?

We swap out modules as needed. Hopefully I can surplus a few N/N modules from the renovation down the street. I might call up Johnson Systems to see if they have any in stock, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back