Control/Dimming DMX Control Software/iOS

applelink

I currently have a project that will have at least 3 zones in a night club and I need to control multiple moving heads and lasers. Then I just want the DJ/or other person to just trigger scenes perhaps on a touchscreen in each zone by pressing one button or at times multiple zones with one button. We want something simple for the end user and iOS control through an iPhone, iPod or Android device would be a nice plus.

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what might be the best solution for this?

Welcome to ControlBooth.

There are many right answers here. Posting more details will make our ideas more useful.

I would look at a console (ETC Ion) and its related remote app. This would let you quickly change the programming and do special events. There isn't much it can't do.

Or an architectural controller with a network link (Interactive Technologies, Inc. "Cue Server") This is a bit harder to program (bring in a console) but the app is ideal. It's also a lot smaller and less expensive.

Welcome to ControlBooth.

There are many right answers here. Posting more details will make our ideas more useful.

I would look at a console (ETC Ion) and its related remote app. This would let you quickly change the programming and do special events. There isn't much it can't do.

Or an architectural controller with a network link (Interactive Technologies, Inc. "Cue Server") This is a bit harder to program (bring in a console) but the app is ideal. It's also a lot smaller and less expensive.

Thanks
What more information do you need?
I want to trigger muiltiple scenes at the same time as well in different zones or have scenes that can trigger muliple zones at once.
I was thinking about a software that can be programmed by a midi controller such as an Elation MidiCon but they would not need the MidiCon for normal operation or triggering of scenes and it can be removed and they can use a touchscreen and/or and iPad to trigger all the zones after programming.
I would like a program that would be easy to program something simple after on the fly if needed.

We want something simple for the end user and iOS control through an iPhone, iPod or Android device would be a nice plus.

I might take a look at Martin's M-PC software. It is very powerful, pretty intuitive and, particularly with their Mx Manager software, very easy for novice end-users to play back pre-recorded content. They also offer an iOS remote (though I have never used it). The software is free to download and try out; including one universe of DMX output for free with an ArtNet node or Enttec USB box.

Best,
John

I'd second M-PC. I've done some installs with an IPad as the primary control/playback surface, and there are certainly some problems. Notably, with what I've used, the IPad needs to always be on, and always running the program. You might get around this with some sort of dmx playback device that can take contact closure input, but that gets into a pretty complicated system.

With MX Manager, you can actually serve up a webpage that you could trigger from a touch screen, for your room playback areas. If you want more control at those stations, an inexpensive All-In-One pc would make an excellent station. The iOS remote is a great solution for remote focus, but it wasn't designed for playback. OSC control is also available. It gives you more control, but less feedback as to what you're doing.

Easy to program is hard to quantify. Who of what skill level? Lots of time or very little? Simple "flash & trash" or subtle shifts over long periods, or distinctive styles? Budget restrictions?

You might want to look at Synthe FX - Innovative tools for artists/designers + film/tv + architectural Separate iPads for each space might be cheaper and easier to deal with than a centralized system.

Yes I have seen Synthe FX stuff before but ti is fully dependent upon the iPad. I do not want them to be constrained to use of an iPad. Also if the iPad does break one day and you have no iPad around to replace it stuff can get difficult. One person will be controlling all zones from one location. I want the END user interface that the DJ will see to be controlling to be dummy proof like you press a button that says moving heads red and all the moving heads turn RED, another button says stobe scene and the lights strobe etc...
As far as programming I would like something that I can hook up a Midi Controller to to program the software such as an Elation MidiCon Controller then save everything and take the midi controller away and they can just use a touch screen interface will squares and names of zones and press what they would like. The type of lights they want to add right now are just moving heads and lasers and two floors but both floors are connected so sometimes they use just the one floor or they can have something different one the 1st floor and the 2nd floor or the two can be together. Sounds a little complicated but its not really. It needs to be able to control just the first floor or just the second floor or both together. Also sound activation of scenes in a chase or chases within a show is also a plus.
I could consider putting both floors on 1 universe or 2 separate universes. They also have a third level which they may like to add lights to later on as well so they may want to expand but everything will just be controlled by pressing a button and they wont have a live lighting guy.
I want to know what is the best program for this application.

I have used the heck out of Luminair and have bought both the iPad and iPhone versions. It's great but has limitations. It's totally not what you are looking for.

I second the vote to go for a dedicated computer for programming and control. Martin M-PC and other lighting company software are good ideas as mentioned. Maybe Chamsys if you are on a Mac. Then I would look at something like TouchOSC or other Midi apps for phones or tablets. You can program the user interface as you like with Midi triggers sent by wifi. The computer stays running for lighting control but nobody uses it for live. Access only through Midi triggers. I don't know more than this but I would look into it.

I have used the heck out of Luminair and have bought both the iPad and iPhone versions. It's great but has limitations. It's totally not what you are looking for.

I second the vote to go for a dedicated computer for programming and control. Martin M-PC and other lighting company software are good ideas as mentioned. Maybe Chamsys if you are on a Mac. Then I would look at something like TouchOSC or other Midi apps for phones or tablets. You can program the user interface as you like with Midi triggers sent by wifi. The computer stays running for lighting control but nobody uses it for live. Access only through Midi triggers. I don't know more than this but I would look into it.

I like the idea of using Touch OSC to send Midi to the boards but i guess the only setback is that it will not have two-way communication like if someone triggered something through the software you will not see it on the board but still a great idea.

i think chavet show express would be what you want. it's really simple. and it has a free app called LIVEMOBILE. you would have to get the USB to DMX adapter for it though.

I have seen the show express and the american DJ My DMX 2 and I think the setback of each software and correct me if I am wrong but it is that it only allows you to control one zone at a time meaning send one scene at a time and not multiple scenes. I have just saw the SLESA-UE7 which does multiple zones or is able to send multiple scenes but I am not sure of the USER end interface and the midi control for programming.

I would like tiles with scenes, chases and shows also audio triggering if possible would be great.

I like the idea of using Touch OSC to send Midi to the boards but i guess the only setback is that it will not have two-way communication like if someone triggered something through the software you will not see it on the board but still a great idea.

I can chime in on the M-PC software there. With the OSC commands, you can get feedback in name and color of buttons (color based on playback status) of the primary cuelists. Because it is using OSC directly, and not transferring to midi, it can do some two way communications. You just have to be careful how you set it up, so that you're getting the info that does two way. There's plenty more that is a one way communication, as well.

I haven't used it for playback, but I do use it as a focus remote pretty regularly.

I have thought about the idea of using an iPhone or Wii Remote with accelerometers that are programmed to control lights then giving the device to a particularly good dancer to see what happens. Think of it as sound to light as interpreted by somebody else's rhythm.

Take a look at the BlueLite X1 system, particularly the 'Live Panel' screen. You can use the four X/Y crossfader pairs and assign your 'cues' to chases or sequences for playback. You can control any DMX equipment including your moving lights and lasers, as well as DMX controlled video servers such as ArKaos Media Master. There is also an Android/iPhone app, iPanel, that lets you control the Live Panel using your mobile device.

I think we should all just come together a develop our own software with a nice looking easy to use interface and a nice looking functional iOS App because it will sell.

I have not used LightFactory though it looks good and the pricing is reasonable. I like that any console can be used as a submaster wing. It's good that they have iOS apps for their Windows based software. I prefer a Mac and have downloaded MagicQ and only recently started playing with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back