DMX Devices Flashing Intermittenly

CBR372

Hello all! So we have been having a problem the last couple days with some equipment that another department has brought in for a dance show. It is intermittent and different things seem to fix it but one fix one night will not work another. What is happening is that They have some LEDs, Dimmer Packs, and Color Scrollers on stage for booms. They are hooked into 2 of my Pathway Pathport nodes (SL, SR). But everyone once and awhile they will start dropping signal. I'll have them at full or any level and they will just drop to zero. It is a constant flash at aroundd 1Hz. We unplugged that rig and tested the DMX signal out of the node and sure enough on certain addresses it was dropping single. Now when viewing the sACN on the network we aren't seeing any drops. All the DMX runs are terminated. RDM is disabled. The problem manifests at random times with random addresses. and the fixes seem random (sometimes a console reboot fixed it, sometime changing the DMX speed in the node fixed it, rebooting the network switch etch. but one fix does not always fix it.)

The interesting thing is that my Seachangers in my existing FOH are not exhibiting these problems.

NOTE: Just now we ran a show baby to the SL side with an D-split optosplitter and the issue stopped. But again it seems we solve this DMX ghost with a different solution every ime.

Sounds like the issue lies in your pathport hardware. Have you checked all the settings for those devices and made sure they are running current firmware?

Sounds like the issue lies in your pathport hardware. Have you checked all the settings for those devices and made sure they are running current firmware?

They are running the latest firm ware. I have the DMX speed set to Fast. I also have it only transmitting sACN. Everything else appears appropriate. Whats weird is that on the onstage nodes are the only ones affected. As soon as we bypassed the SL node the SR fixtures (which are using the SR node) started behaving again. How can one node affect the other? And why would it be random addresses?. Whats also weird is that our LED's it ONLY affects the Master intensity address. like it doesnt drop the R,G,B. But it isnt always every fixture some times its 2 out 6 soemtimes its 5 out 6. There is no consistency except for the rate of the flash.

Normally I would suggest adjusting the DMX speed, but since the removal of a single node seems to have solved your issue, I would guess the issue is caused by that node. I don't know too much about the pathport hardware or how it configures or how/if the various nodes communicate with each other.

If you connect the problem node to hardware that you have not had a history of issues with, does it behave?

If you are reading the inconsistency with a DMX tester, then it seems unlikely that the cause would be the devices that wee brought in for the show. Could be as simple as a bad connection/cable. I suppose it could be a network issue, but you said you tested that.

CBR372 - please feel free to contact us at [email protected] to resolve this. I'm curious what type of console you're using and what switch you're running across. I would also suggest confirming RDM is disabled and your DMX lines are terminated.

There are also a couple things we can try to see if the node is losing signal from the console or if the your end devices are losing the start code.

Robert.

Robert Armstrong
Manager - Technical Sales and Product Support
Pathway Connectivity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back