DMX Merger / Splitter

Russc

Hi,
I am looking to build a DMX Merger. I have looked at the commercial mergers available and they are just too out of my price range. I would ideally like to make a unit simply so that I can merge 2 signals from a lighting desk and my laptops usb to dmx into one dmx output. Is this possible? If it is does anyone have any circuits or methods which I could build this device.
I am also looking to build a DMX splitter. I have a circuit but it is quite complicated so if anyone has anything simpler that I could use to convert a single DMX to 4 outputs?

Many Thanks

So I understand why one would want a splitter, but what application would one need a merger?

He wants to pile on the outputs from his main desk as well as his laptop DMX. Not unusual, I used to use mergers all the time, still have 1 or 2 Response units sitting and collecting dust.

Depending on the software you're using you might be able to use your laptop as the merger. You'd need a DMX input for the computer which the software would read and then combine with the incoming DMX in either LTP (latest takes prescience) or HTP (highest takes prescience) mode.

To do this you need to read both DMX imputs, process the data, then out the DMX. I don't know if there are any stackable Arduino DMX shields, but that is where I'd start my search if I was determined to have a DYI solution. Hopefully you can use software on the laptop as mentioned above.

So I understand why one would want a splitter, but what application would one need a merger?

Another common scenario is house light control over DMX.

You want to be able to control house lights in the venue using the console because you can fade them out as you go into the show without leaving the LX desk, and likewise when restoring them at the end of the show.

But you don't want to have to be in the venue when the cleaning staff want the lights at 100% to see the floor better.

So you have the LX desk; a simple to use preset controller with easy user interface; and a DMX merger which takes the desk by preference, but where desk DMX is not presence, reverts to the preset controller.

I use my eDMX1 for merging, it only does artnet and sACN though, not DMX. I have my pearl outputting sACN into a switch, which connects it to the eDMX1 and it's wifi router. That way I can use the pearl, and the focus remote on my phone to pull up individual dimmers for a focus. I wish the pearls remote app would just let me do that easily, unfortunately it doesn't. It also lets me use luminair on my phone for small shows where I don't really need someone sitting at a console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back