DMX Problem

hoffmana1

I am trying to connect a flat led three color light to my electric but the dmx port built into the batten isn't transmitting the signal to the console. I also tried connecting it to my other electric battens but its still not receiving a signal. There is a Junction box connecting all the batten dmx inputs and outputs into one cable but that isn't causing the problem.

If you have any suggestions on solutions or know what is going on any help would be appreciated.

The "Junction Box" has me raising my eyebrows. I'm hoping you mean it's a powered DMX distribution box - there are several manufacturers, and different brands, but DMX doesn't support hardwired "star" topography - that is, unless you have a powered DMX splitter/repeater/optical isolator, you're likely going to have serious issues with data transmission failure at some point, and you may damage the gear at either end of the line(s). Most of DMX devices will have an LED indicating they're sending on their outputs (consoles, splitters) or seeing data on their inputs (splitters, fixtures), your LED batten included. See if you're getting a DMX signal at the fixture, and if not, trace backwards. It may just be a bad cable somewhere.

All that said: sometimes, the gear sending signals to the LEDs is sending or repeating the data too quickly. Many devices can slow their data transmission down to suit the gear downstream; you may need to try that instead.

The basic approach to troubleshooting is to eliminate as many variables as possible, then add them back in one at a time until you find the point of failure. So, as Jonathan said, start with console>cable>fixture. If that works, move to the next possible connection point (perhaps the cable running to the DMX splitter), plug in the fixture there, and see what you get. And so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back