dmx switch from dual sources

Joebar

If i would like to have two dmx sources running simultanous and be able to switch "on the fly" between the two prefereble with a 24vdc signal.Is there any such switches out there? What would happen if i would use a simple relay to switch between the two dmx sources?

/ Joebar

Why the 24v signal to switch? We used to use manual A/B switches, but have recently started doing it with sACN and priority.

This is generally how we have it set up for doing festivals and such where there are multiple consoles present.

Give us a little more info, we might be able to make this easier for you.

Thats right chris , my plan is to have 3-4 standalone controllers running continues and have the scoring system switching controller for the lights on a specific lane for instance when they throw a strike...so i'll need 20 switches one for each lane...and i think chris found the supplier...;-)

This may be a better application for an ETC Mosaic unit. You can take a number of different inputs (contacts, 1-10VDC, RS232, TCP/IP, DMX, MIDI) from the controllers on each lane, and then in one show file program the lights for both the entire alley as well as each of the lanes to respond appropriately. Not sure what the widget is that's spitting out information from each of the lanes, but if you can find a way to interface with a Mosaic system, you'll have yourself a pretty slick solution.

The mosaic is a neat piece of kit ,my concern is that i would need to make one show for every event on every lane and how would the controler react on changing show every two seconds...and then returning to the "background show" that would start from scene one over and over....thats why i want to go with seperate controllers like madrix plexus or dmx creator 1024+ that runs shows continuously and then just switch sources so that i only have to create 4 or 5 different shows and the lane will go back to were all the others are once the event is over.

It's not a conventional one-show-at-a-time type of unit. You load one show into it, set triggers for all of your incoming data, and tell it to run a timeline based on that trigger.

So you set up triggers to respond to scenarios for...

Lane 1 - Strike
Lane 1 - 300
Lane 1 - 3 Strikes
Lane 1 - Not in use

Lane 2 - Strike
Lane 2 - 300
Lane 2 - 3 Strikes
Lane 2 - Not in use

Lane 3 - Strike
Lane 3 - 300
Lane 3 - 3 Strikes
Lane 3 - Not in use

Tournament -- black out all the lanes except those for the tournament

etc...etc...

The controller then plays back the respective timelines when your incoming triggers from each your lanes tells it to.

Mosaics can run many timelines at once. A friend of mine is using one Mosaic to power 30 rooms in an Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Each room takes a microphone input into the Mosaic system. As the audio level in the room increases, the lights above each of the beds turns red to indicate to everyone in the room to keep quiet and not disturb the infants. It would seem as if all 30 rooms are independent systems, but it's actually all routed through the same Mosaic processor with a number of add-on widgets to get all of the microphones connected into the system.

Ok , i´m not sure i get you there but i´ll give you the basic idea of the setup just so that we talk about the same thing.I´m probably going to use 600x600mm rgb led panels over the lanes as main light probably around 15 per lane so i´ll be around 300 fixtures on top of that there´ll be the f/x effects of moving heads ,strobes ,lasers etc. So the basic is to have a background show running all the RGB fixtures on all lanes in various soft patterns/colors and then the trigger for instans a strike on lane 3 will have ONLY lane 3´s rgb panels to run wild + the f/x fixtures connected to that lane and the rest of the 19 lanes will continue to run the background show and once lane 3´s done with the salute i´ll go back to the same background show as the rest.

How does mosaic priority which timeline has priority if there is several running at the same time ,usually he highest value on the dmx channel has priority but that would screw it up...

How does mosaic priority which timeline has priority if there is several running at the same time ,usually he highest value on the dmx channel has priority but that would screw it up...
Page 83 of the Unison Mosaic Designer software User Manuel indicates that it uses Latest Takes Priority. I think that means when timelines conflict that the timeline that was started more recently takes priority (rather than the timeline that set the parameter more recently).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back