Dressing Room Renovations - mirrors/lighting?

FWIW, I'm told CRI has been declared insufficient for purpose, and they're working on replacing it with a newer metric that does the job better, whose name eludes me for the moment.

5 points of CRI is pretty much beyond perception. You should note that CRI is a very vague average of pastels, so individual lamps with the same CRI can be very different.

Short answer: check make up and costumes on stage with the selected gels and such. In the dressing rooms you are just duplicating what you did last time.
I light art exhibitions among other things and a really expensive LED with a CRI of 95 distorts the colour of a painting as compared to a $1 halogen mr16, particularly at the red end of the spectrum, a LED with a rating of 80 is likely to give a very different look to your stage lights, and of course makeup is essentially pastel colours, unless you're doing a circus, so I would suggest you proceed with caution or you could end up with some strange looking actors.

Color Quality Scale and Color Gamut Index (as an addition to either of the others) are metrics to be considered.

Everyone should also keep in mind that these values are only comparable when from the same CCT. A warm halogen and a cool LED are not comparable by CRI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back