Effects on ETC eos

carsonld

I have three questions...

1. I have six ellipsoidal and we will just say they are on channels 1-6. They are there to create northern lights for Almost, Maine. I am wanting each channels to fade at different times and different intervals. I'm not sure how to create this effect. I have an ETC eos.

2. I have a Chauvet Color Pix and I have it set to 36 channels on the light and the board when I patched it. The 36 channels should be allow me to control every single led on the light but when I patch it it only allows me to control 3 address: red, green, blue for the entire fixture. How do I get it to where it allows me to control every LED?

3. How do I also create an effect to get the LED to fade through all the colors continually? How can I tweak this effect for it for fade through certain colors I want?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm not to good with DMX, thank you so much!

1. Create a Step Based effect using those six fixtures.

2. You have to change the DMX mode on the physical light itself to the 36 channel mode. Instructions for that should be in the manual.

3. Try the prebuilt effect 914 (I think its a Hue-Sat fade). You can change the size and rate from the effects panel and you can change the colors from the ML controls.

Hope that helps

1. You want a step based effect. Put each channel in their own step (channel 1 in step 1, channel 2 in step 2...). Make the times all 1. Give them levels for their on states (high value) and their off states (low value). Under attributes select "Random Group", "Random Rate", Forward and Positive. Play around with these and you'll be sure to come up with an effect that'll work. There's a lot of good information in the manual.

2. Are you sure you have it patched properly? You'll want to go into patch and check that it's the proper fixture, and mode.

3. Through every color? Effect 914. Should already be in the console.

The manual has a lot of good information. Also, if you hold help and then click something that you're unsure of it'll pop up with a display which lets you know the function. This is especially helpful for the attributes in effects. Good luck!

So, regarding your second question, I always have to trick my Ion into handling this kind of fixture. If you've got it patched in correctly and with the right settings and it still doesn't work, you might have to patch it as twelve generic RGB fixtures, one for each cell. I've had to do this for a bunch of different LED fixtures, it's kind of annoying. Then you can get creative with groups and subgroups in order to keep programming quick.

So, regarding your second question, I always have to trick my Ion into handling this kind of fixture. If you've got it patched in correctly and with the right settings and it still doesn't work, you might have to patch it as twelve generic RGB fixtures, one for each cell. I've had to do this for a bunch of different LED fixtures, it's kind of annoying. Then you can get creative with groups and subgroups in order to keep programming quick.
That sounds painful. Why not just create a new profile for the instruments by hand? The addressing info should be in the manual, and creating the profile is in the ETC manual.

That sounds painful. Why not just create a new profile for the instruments by hand? The addressing info should be in the manual, and creating the profile is in the ETC manual.
All sorts of reasons. Eos still sucks at handling multi intensity fixtures. The color picker only works for the first set of "red" "green" and "blue", so after that you're stuck manually mixing red 2 through red N, blue 2 through blue N, and green 2 through green N. In a lot of ways it's easier to patch it as mutliple channels.

Good point! I've tried that before. If you make your own profile using Red Green Blue, Red2 Green2 Blue2, Red3 Green3 Blue3, (and so on) you can get manual control of each cell, but the color picker and master intensity will only work with the first cell of the fixture. It makes it an even bigger hassle to program. And if you make a profile just using RGB over and over again, it's no different from the ETC profile for the fixture.

Subgroups and groups are actually not too bad to program with the 'offset' commands, so it's the fastest way I know...

I could be totally off on this, but it's something I've run into with any LED fixture that can be broken down into cells like this.

If someone knows a better work around, I'm all ears! I've talked with Anne Valentino and others from ETC about it, and they said it's something they're working on.

The problem isn't a misisng profile, it's a lack of support in the software for multiple intensity fixtures. It's something ETC is working on improving, but they haven't come up with a good way of doing it yet.

Thank you everyone for your help! I ended up getting the northern lights to look amazing, but didn't figure out the LED yet, going to work on that today. I will try to upload a picture of the final project. What I did was I have 3 S4 on each side varying Gobos out of focus and different taped gels and different degrees. Right before they showed up we started to wave the cyclorama and the lights came on. It looked amazing.

Reactions: KLM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back