Control/Dimming Enttec USB DMX PRO MK1 vs MK2

macheath

Hello everyone!

I want to buy a USB to DMX interface for a small theater company and
I am torn between the Enttec DMX USB PRO MK2 and its predecessor (MK1?).

• The "Standalone playback" function on the MK2 does not appear to be useful in a theatrical environment because, reading the documentation, it seems not allow a manual switchover between steps via MIDI (It would be very useful in a one-man show) ...Correct me if I'm wrong!
  • One universe seems sufficient for us.
  • Moreover, searching online for information, I found some complaint about the new microUSB

Could you give me any advice?
It's worth spending some extra money for MK2?

Thanks!!! :discoball:

In testing both devices for use with my lighting software, I found them to be equal in quality. If you don't need the second universe, then you might want to stick with the Pro as it's been around for quite a while and the firmware is stable. You might want to take a look at the DMX King line of interfaces as well. My testing has shown them to be good. We've been using the ultraDMX Pro for a couple years at Blackfriars and I've used the Micro for some standalone gigs. Just don't back off and get an interface without an internal processor.

Hello everyone!

I want to buy a USB to DMX interface for a small theater company and
I am torn between the Enttec DMX USB PRO MK2 and its predecessor (MK1?).

• The "Standalone playback" function on the MK2 does not appear to be useful in a theatrical environment because, reading the documentation, it seems not allow a manual switchover between steps via MIDI (It would be very useful in a one-man show) ...Correct me if I'm wrong!
  • One universe seems sufficient for us.
  • Moreover, searching online for information, I found some complaint about the new microUSB

Could you give me any advice?
It's worth spending some extra money for MK2?

Thanks!!! :discoball:
Hi Mac,

I agree with what dbaxter pointed out and if you don't need the second universe the Pro Mk1 will be sufficient. However, if there is a chance you will expand your inventory the extra investment may pay off. Regarding the comments you found about the micro USB connection, we did find a small percentage of production flaws on that part and have made corrections to the manufacturing process to make that connection much stronger. The new design has been implemented and is in place for all units currently shipping. Moreover, we offer a 1 year warranty on our products and have repaired any of the requests made to us regarding this part without hesitation (even if warranty had expired) at our North Carolina based repair facility. This location offers an easy pathway to technical support and customer service if problems arise. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you moving forward.

We've got two MK1's working on a PC running LightFactory. One is used as an input for an ETC Express so we can use that as a programming wing and the other outputs to our dimmer rack. They have performed admirably, but we've had two quirks that shouldn't cause concern. The first was realizing that our Express was outputting random DMX in "hiccups". The story went that it was struck by lightning a few years back and serviced. When we hooked it up the ENTTEC, it began causes dimmers to randomly flip on and off every 20 seconds or so. We chalked it up to the MK1 being more sensitive to sudden changes in the DMX than the Sensor Rack (we never noticed those issues when it was our main console).

The other one was a bit more troubling. We have an HMI followspot next to our lighting computer and if we power on the spotlight it will often disable the USB devices. Nothing we can do to reset them except a complete reboot of the computer. The spot and the computer are on different circuits, but there seems to be some issue with the interference from the spot ballast when it strikes the arc.

Outside of those two quirks, I have been very happy with them.

Thank you all for the answers!

I finally opted for a USB PRO MK1
(along with a touchscreen computer and a little "Korg nanoKONTROL2")
because one universe is more than enough (for me)
and the standalone mode (in MK2) does not allow manual feed between programmed steps.

Hey- random completely off-topic question, but since you answered your original question and mentioned you use a nanoKontrol, what do you program the different buttons for? I've got one I use with our lighting computer, but so far have just program the faders for house lights, basic stage wash, etc. Have you found anything useful (shortcuts or macros, etc) that you can program to the individual buttons?

Inquiring minds want to know about the Korg nanoKontrol!

It's a small fader board that outputs MIDI over USB and is typically used with DAW applications to provide control surfaces for the in-software mixer. My church randomly had the original one lying in a cabinet and on a whim I tried to see if the MIDI it output would be recieved by LightFactory (the software we were using) and it worked like a charm! The buttons on it are all map-able based on whatever parameter you set in the software (Cue GO, submasters, shortcuts, etc) so it's a really cheap and versatile handle for controlling a handful of subs at a time. I think they run like $60.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/controllers/nanokontrol2/

I've since bought a 2 for my day job at the PAC. It's a nice complement to the Express we use as a programming wing. And with this guy we don't have to keep the Express running all the time.

Hi!
Honestly, I just bought these toys and I have yet to find the way to use them to the fullest.
... After some testing with this setup, if you like, I'll can share the experience in a new thread.

It's a small fader board that outputs MIDI over USB and is typically used with DAW applications to provide control surfaces for the in-software mixer. My church randomly had the original one lying in a cabinet and on a whim I tried to see if the MIDI it output would be recieved by LightFactory (the software we were using) and it worked like a charm! The buttons on it are all map-able based on whatever parameter you set in the software (Cue GO, submasters, shortcuts, etc) so it's a really cheap and versatile handle for controlling a handful of subs at a time. I think they run like $60.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/controllers/nanokontrol2/

I've since bought a 2 for my day job at the PAC. It's a nice complement to the Express we use as a programming wing. And with this guy we don't have to keep the Express running all the time.

Something like this wouldn't by any chance work with MagicQ, would it? If not, I should look in to another way to take advantage of this device. It's too cute (and cheap) to pass up.

I'm not too familiar with MagicQ, but if it accepts MIDI IN commands to control parameters then it should work. The Korg can be remapped using its software so it's very customizable.

Reactions: Les
Midi wise, we support MIDI Input for various triggers (Playbacks etc) however all MIDI Input must come through our USB-MIDI Timecode interface.

I think this means no in the case of MagicQ. LightFactory lets you "listen" for external triggers from MIDI devices and the NanoKontrol utilizes MIDI over USB, going directly to the PC running the controller software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back