Control/Dimming ETC 96 Sensor Rack

TigerX

I can't for the life of me find this answer on line. Can anyone tell me how the 3 power legs are distributed on an ETC 96 sensor each without a patch bay? Is it dimmers 1&2 on leg one, dimmers 3&4 on leg two, dimmers 5&6 on leg three etc? OR is it dimmers 1 thru 32 on leg one, dimmers 33-64 on leg 2 and dimmers 65-96 on leg 3? OR does each dimmer share 2 legs? I am sure the answer to this is simple and I should know it. I don't have one in front of me to meter either

Thanks!

The top 3rd of the rack is 1 phase, the next 3rd is another, and the bottom 3rd is yet another. A typical rack patch would have dimmers 1&2 on phase 1 in slot 1 (numbered from the top), 3&4 on phase 2 in slot 19, etc. However, there is no requirement for the rack to be patched sequentially.

Install racks are often set up in a phase balance for you. Racks are always in thirds in three phase as Sk8rsdad mentioned. When phase balanced the rack places dimmers evenly across the phase so numbers down the side will read 1,2,7,8,13,14 and so on down the rack.

Wait, ETC Install racks are Laid out different than touring packs?
Wow, I didn't know that. Touring packs are all setup in chunks of 8. (Unless you spring for balanced)
ie. 1-8=X 9-16=Y 17-24=Z and so on. (Lays out perfectly for a 24, 48, 72, or 96 rack)

Just in terms of the balance. Most touring racks are numbered straight instead of renumbered across phases. The internal phase bar/wiring is set up the same.

The "straight" vs "balanced" numbering is a software setting, at least in the racks with blue LED beacons. It's harder to change the labels than it is to change the numbering.

Wait, ETC Install racks are Laid out different than touring packs?
Wow, I didn't know that. Touring packs are all setup in chunks of 8. (Unless you spring for balanced)
ie. 1-8=X 9-16=Y 17-24=Z and so on. (Lays out perfectly for a 24, 48, 72, or 96 rack)

Yep, they are both stupidly laid out, but in different ways. Not huge problem in an install, especially if your circuits are intelligently laid out, it just looks a little convoluted when you see the numbering on the racks, but it does make sense, they are extremely undesirable in a touring package though, IMO.

Oh, Wait..
The racks are laid out identically, but the dimmers are numbered differently?

I think that are all wired in banks of 8, but I could be wrong. Installs are often numbered in the control module to assign addresses that balance the rack. The touring racks are usually numbered from top to bottom, which might work out okay for theater, but sucks for rock and roll, corporate, and pretty much anytime you need to use the rack, because it requires a very convoluted patch in order not to be extremely unbalanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back