Control/Dimming ETC Paradigm Wall Panel Indicators

nlandis

I'm working in a brand-new concert hall that, in addition to having a full console for more complex events, has two so-called "Master Lighting Control" panels for simpler control that seem to be custom-designed interfaces for the venue's Paradigm system. Besides controlling all the stage lights, these panels have buttons to turn worklights on and off in different areas of the space. Most of these, including catwalk lights and fluorescent overheads backstage, work just fine. However, I can't get either the track lighting in the FOH booth or the blue backstage "running lights" to work. Whenever I press their corresponding buttons, they light up red instead of the usual green. What exactly does the red light mean, and what can I do about it? I assumed it was some sort of wiring or dimming fault, but both the main Paradigm control unit in the dimmer room and our Sensor rack read "System OK." Any ideas as to what might be going on here?

If the system is still within 1 year of opening then it is likely still under warranty from the installing contractor, so they should be able to come out and take a look for no cost.

If these lights are supposed to be controllable on the Paradigm system then they should also be controllable from the lighting console, assuming the DMX addresses are documented somewhere (either the DMX address of the dimmer if tungsten work lights, or driver if LED). That may help confirm if there's a programming error in the Paradigm or a wiring fault.

Yes, the venue opened as of this fall, so we we definitely still under warranty. Just a matter of getting ahold of the right contractor.

As far as DMX goes, the installers left us with no dimmer patch or hookup schedule of any kind (except some obscure numbering on the dimmer rack itself), so we're working on getting that too. I'll write back in with any developments.

But is it safe to say that the red indicator on the button suggests some type of fault?

To answer your last question, no, a red light on a paradigm wall button does not mean an error is present. There are a couple issues here.

One is that training is built into the cost of a new ETC system such as this. Training should have been accomplished near the opening of the venue.

Another is that the consultant for this theater should have specified how the wall buttons work. That should be documented and given to the owner of the theater. The consultant should have verified the buttons are operating correctly.

-MH

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies! We'll get in touch with the installer/ETC.

I too thought training on the Paradigm system would have been done, but our technical manager says he wasn't trained on many of the systems in the hall, nor was he given any sort of lighting schematics/dimmer schedules/other documentation. We do have audio and video block diagrams, and they did a basic training for the rigging system and our Element console, but I'm told that was about it. I'm guessing some binder or PDF got lost somewhere in the chain. We'll get to the bottom of it!

Note that the Paradigm control system is typically and essentially a locked down system to all but trained users. ETC charges to train a user. The local installer would likely have a person whose gone thru the ETC training AND has the associated software to make adjustments but dont be surprised when you hit a stone wall when you ask if you can get the software to make your own adjustments.

Note that the Paradigm control system is typically and essentially a locked down system to all but trained users. ETC charges to train a user. The local installer would likely have a person whose gone thru the ETC training AND has the associated software to make adjustments but dont be surprised when you hit a stone wall when you ask if you can get the software to make your own adjustments.

You are correct but the training I am referring to is just the basic lighting system. If this is a new building and the Paradigm system controls the booth tracklights then the enduser should be shown how they operate or should be given an explanation as to why they aren't working.

-MH

Typically if a button is giving you a solid red it means there is a preset with a higher precedence overriding what you are trying to do. If it is a flashing red, it is "locked out." Thats done to keep people from turing on your house lights or work lights while you are in a show. As far as the training for the system goes, someone there had to be trained before ETC will consider the project complete. If you call ETC with the job number (normally on the info page of the paradigm screen, or a sticker on the cabinet) they can tell you who that was based on the sign-off documentation. The cut sheets and user guides should be in a blue ETC 3 ring binder. It is normally kept by the maintenance department, or tucked away near the Paradigm controller.

Thanks - we've since figured it out. Turns out the solid red wasn't the issue at all - inexplicably, all the bulbs in all 10 or so of the running light fixtures were burned out. I'm thinking it must have been either an electrical glitch at some point or a heat issue (all the fixtures are enclosed). We replaced the bulbs and now they seem to work fine regardless of the indicator LEDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back