Control/Dimming ETC Sensor dimming module

The correct way to turn a Sensor dimmer into a relay is to swap the D20 module for an R20 or CC20 module. If you have a CEM3 the TP20 is purpose-made for this sort of application.

Another option, which may be harmful to your LED par fixtures, is to profile the dimmer as unregulated and switched. How this is done depends on whether your Sensor controller is an MPE, CEM, CEM+, or CEM3. If none of those terms mean anything to you, then you shouldn't be playing with the rack.

Plug the LED par fixtures into regular wall outlet instead.

The dimmer rack has the CEM+ so yes I thought about changing the profile of the 2 channels in the CEM to switched, but I worry about that killing the LED fixtures. And nice idea to change out to a R20 module but I do not have $400 for the module. And plugging into a regular wall outlet when there is a fly system is not an option and lets not forget how to keep the extension cords out of the way. Lack of outlets onstage or near the stage is a huge problem.

The least expensive option is to get the blessing of the LED PAR manufacturer to run it off a dimmer. Nobody on this forum is going to know the details of the power supply or whether it can tolerate a slightly irregular sinusoid with phase delayed current.

If it's temporary then see if you can rent an R20. If it's permanent, a CC20 is $155 at Full Compass.

IMHO, every facility should have a few R20s and/or CC20s in inventory for getting unswitched power to moving lights, motors, shoe box dimmers, foggers, hazers, and other loads that don't react well to dimmers.

It also seems a shame to burn a D20, which you should have as a back up spare for your system and make something that won't be UL rated.

Only thing wrong with the CC20 is that the 2 channels will stay on 24/7. Unless I go up to the dimmer room and flip the breaker off for the 2 channels. The R20 module are $400+.

David,

I can certainly understand the cost and utility issue. It doesn't really help your situation, but do know that there is no way to convert the module to switched or constant on. Other dimmers out there might have that ability by changing some components or doing some rewiring. Note that we are not in the habit of talking about those types of modifications here on CB as they are deemed not safe to do. Nevertheless, it still is not even technically possible on a D20.

So, I echo the above post regarding running the dimmers in switched mode, but only if the fixture manufacturer says it is ok. I am really stretching to say this as I never give this advice.

You are in the same conundrum that everyone using LEDs is facing - you are not alone. LED fixtures require constant power and data runs - both of which take space, time and money. If you are already running data cables up to the electric, running power to the electric is a good option as you can bundle the cables together. Otherwise, do consider budgeting for a R20 or CC20 in the near future.

Hope this helps,

David

CC20 doesn't require any changes to the setup.
R20 is a different module so the configuration needs to change. Manuals are available at the ETC site (etcconnect.com)

Last edited:
CC20 doesn't require any changes to the setup.
D20 is a different module so the configuration needs to change. Manuals are available at the ETC site (etcconnect.com)

I actually swap R20's and D20's back and forth without dealing with the CEM+ setup at all. It's pretty much plug and play as I don't think the CEM cares.

Accessing the CEM does allow you to configure when the R20 opens/closes. I think default is at above 95% of DMX value.

Sounds good, Ill pick up a couple CC20's and just go flip the breakers off on them at the end of the night. The Electrics are set up in a crazy way. There are only 8 channels per bar laid out in a SR 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 SL. (guess they wanted to save money on wire. Still have plenty of spots in rack for more dimmers.) It becomes interesting when dividing the stage into 3rds and still wanting to do a 2 color wash. But now with LED fixtures getting better and better, I just need to buy them, It won't matter how the channels are laid out on the bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back