ever used these boom bases?

Used to work at a theater that had something like these, though the leveling feet were more nuts that had been welded into place that you could run a bolt through. Think they were meant so you could bolt them down, or maybe they were meant for feet that just hadn't been installed on ours.

Really the only comments I have about that design are that the pressure points for the feet are much harder on a dance floor than a round base. Additionally, a round-base design is easier to "walk" around after it has lights on it by tipping it on the corner and rolling it. With the square-base, you're forced to pick it up and lift whenever you want to move something over a little.

The handle these things have is pretty slick. Was nice having a less obtuse way to carry bases around.

Probably the most important feature of this design is that it's much easier to drop counterweights onto these bases than round-bases to prevent your booms from tipping over.

Downside is you can subsequently hang so much lighting a pipe that you can end up bending the pipe over time. Think most of the boom pipes in that theater were bent at anywhere between a few and a several-degree angle.

Last edited:
They appear to be stackable, but I'm not sure about the collar apparently being screwed onto the plate. Been happy with SSRC bases. I find them no more difficult to move (even on carpet) than round ones. I might order a couple to test out the next time I need some.

Regardless which ones I use, I always have mats for wood floors.

I've never used these, but one thing you have to be careful with on this style of base is standing them up or laying them down when loaded. I've seen 2 of them fail while doing that with movers loaded on them. While just on an edge the plate had enough flex that it broke the weld holding the coupler to the plate of steel. On the other one the coupler itself failed from the added stress.

I've never used these, but one thing you have to be careful with on this style of base is standing them up or laying them down when loaded. I've seen 2 of them fail while doing that with movers loaded on them. While just on an edge the plate had enough flex that it broke the weld holding the coupler to the plate of steel. On the other one the coupler itself failed from the added stress.

How would one put movers on these? And how much weight?

Several of my local theatres have a custom base that they all use (made by one of the theatre shops), which I think is the best design I have seen yet. They use a base with three legs extending from the base of the boom. Each of these legs has nested square steel tubing that allows you to extend the legs depending on where the weight is. They also have fully lockable castors (no movement, no swivel) on each leg to allow the boom to move as needed.

similar to THIS, but made of much beefier steel tubing.

I contacted the seller and asked a few questions. This was their response:

What "assembly" is required?
ASSEMBLY: 1 SCREW FOR EACH FOOT, 4 SCREW&NUTS FOR THREADED FLANGE
Is the flange screwed or welded to the plate?
THREADED FLANGE BOLTED, NOT WELDED.
Can't remember what I asked them here
STACKING DOES NOT WORK WITH CASTERS
What kind of casters are to be used?
ACCEPTS STANDARD 3/8 STEM CASTERS.
Do you sell casters?
WE DO NOT SELL CASTERS

The thing that concerns me is the flange is bolted to the plate. IMO, welding is better, but I'm no expert. I'd welcome comments from anyone who knows about such stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back