Fake flames for fireplace!!

tdtastic

We need to have a small fire burning in a fireplace for our upcoming show. Needs to have some moving flames -- more than just a glowing log. Really not interested in the whole 'silk/fan' idea -- would like a better effect than that. Has anyone ever tried one of those electronic fire boxes like they have at Home Depot or Lowe's. The effect is pretty cool looking, and you can buy units that allow you run the effect but without the heater. Anyone have any good ideas?!

i had a had a fire unit from a sears & robucks electric fire place worked great. it was a plastic drum on a motor printed with reds n ambers breakups, a single 40w clear lamp was in the middle of the rotating drum. castled light onto translucent coals/logs and onto the back of the fireplace. no flames

thanks. yeh that's exactly what Im talking about. How did you guys control it? I would ultimately want to have mine on a dimmer -- which I assume the bulb and motor share power so I'd have to separate them out... Im alos worried that the bulb wouldn't be bright enough to read form stage -- do you think it would be possible to put a brighter lamp in it without setting the flame drum on fire?

I went and bought a couple of hanging pots(think Halloween) that had a fan and a couple of small lights with some cut fabric, i built it into a couple of logs added some gel over the lights and had a burning fireplace, from 40' away looked real enough to scare me to think the stage was on fire when my mind drifted during that wonderful boring scene....I think I got them at a novelty store called Spencers(Mich.), they sell all kinds of crazy stuff like that year round...

Hope it helps

Sean...
P.S. Yes I ran it through a dimmer, it was cheap enough I didnt care if it only lasted a week...we still have it years later, and used it many times...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back