Flat Edison Cable

jstroming

I need some bulk cable, flat 12/3 edison cable. Does anyone know where this can be found? I called LEX for pre-made cable but they only sell in 25ft & 50ft lengths, and I need 100ft lengths. Thanks.

LEX is the only company I know with such a cable. The only product I know of, which the LEX product is intended to replace, is 12/3 or 14/3 SPT3, often called Appliance Cable or Convention Center Cord. It's like zip cord on steroids with a ground wire. Be aware that for stage and entertainment use, the code mandates the use of SOOW cable, with a few exceptions for SJOOW, namely break outs/ins and two-fers.

The stuff from LEX is beyond extra hard usage, the trade show cable that they sell is as built proof as you can get and still be flexible. They were trying to replace SPT-3, which is not hard or extra hard usage cable, this stuff can take the abuse of fork lifts, foot traffic and under carpet. This was developed just before the financial crash and was just getting out there when every one stopped buying stuff. . You can get the bulk cable through them BUT it has both a long lead time and a large minim order, because they had to make a decision have it stop being made or just make it up in common sized cord sets. The stuff is a bear to strip, I had to buy several of the cord sets and cut the connectors off to fit into a set and then put new ends on for a project, it took a while to put the ends on

I need some bulk cable, flat 12/3 edison cable. Does anyone know where this can be found? I called LEX for pre-made cable but they only sell in 25ft & 50ft lengths, and I need 100ft lengths. Thanks.

J;

Try searching for HPN 12/3, this is the black rubbery / neopreney 'butch' zip-cord often found on toasters and electric frying pans. Decades ago, in another life, I was able to purchase it in 250' and 500' put-ups but not in 1,000' reels.
As has been pointed out, it's not approved / rated for "hard usage" but it's definitely capable of handling its full rated current up to its rated temperature. It's also good from a flexibility point of view due to its fine-strand construction.

Edit fixed a spelling typo.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

What you're looking for is commonly referred to as Festoon cable, and comes in a variety of pinouts and gauges

http://www.nassauelectrical.com/products/copper-control-cable/pvc-flat-festoon-cable

Hello Mr. Feenstra;

Once you make the leap to festoon cable, serious crane service companies can be your friends.
Companies servicing overhead cranes often stock 2 or 3 variations of festoon cable, usually jacketed in safety yellow.
Once I found a company with black jacketed festoon cable in stock. They had to source it for one project and had to purchase 1,000' to get black. Theatre's love black and they'd had about 800' of black in stock for several years. They were delighted to offer me a fabulous price to take the entire roll off their hands AND they delivered it.

Toodleoo!
Ron

Have you tried going down to your local electricians supply dealer... not Home Depot, but the place in your area where the regular electricians go to get their cable and supplies.

I have a number of flat Convention Center cables in different lengths and connector types. I picked it up from TMB. It is AWESOME! I can not say enough good things about it.

I responded a few days ago but it didn't post for some reason...I just went with the Lex pre-made stuff....but all this info is good to know! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stuff from LEX is beyond extra hard usage, the trade show cable that they sell is as built proof as you can get and still be flexible. They were trying to replace SPT-3, which is not hard or extra hard usage cable, this stuff can take the abuse of fork lifts, foot traffic and under carpet. This was developed just before the financial crash and was just getting out there when every one stopped buying stuff. . You can get the bulk cable through them BUT it has both a long lead time and a large minim order, because they had to make a decision have it stop being made or just make it up in common sized cord sets. The stuff is a bear to strip, I had to buy several of the cord sets and cut the connectors off to fit into a set and then put new ends on for a project, it took a while to put the ends on

I can attest to if not done properly... you will get sparks. Seen that with many plugs installed on people I didn't train. I would be interested in TMB's version but Lex is what I buy by the spool. Pre-molded ends is the best way to go for flat cable out of safety. They also sell a flat Soco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back