Frozen the musical effects?

Bryce_J

Now we all know that the Disney movie musical frozen is being written as a stage performance. so my question is what do people think they will do to pull it off? would they use projection mapping on glass for the sets? would they use pre set devices in the stage for her snow power effects or do u think they would develop snow machine system that could be on the actor? Iv been thinking about things like these and came up with a bunch of ideas myself and im curious what other peoples minds can think up. no just on the snow magic fx and the set pices being created on stage but anything that u think would be a cool or interesting way of doing anything in the show. please share any ideas you may have no matter how radical they might be.

I do a lot of work with drag queens here in Little Rock. One of my clients is going to do "Let It Go" at a national pageant here in a few months. I have to tell you, trying to come up with how to do this has been absolutely insane. Here's the breakdown...

To begin the song, I've got two 16' white curtains hiding stages right and left and a short staircase with landing center stage. The staircase is made of 1" plexi cut on my CNC Router with hundreds of blue LEDs embedded. To add to the ice effect, I used that spray window frosting. I have two projectors, one set to each of the curtains shooting out images of snowflakes, and magic stuff.

The next little gem are two 4' x 8' panels behind each of the curtains. These are also made of plexi, embedded with LEDs, and frosted. Each of the panels has another 4' x 8' sheet behind it on a track. The curtains are weighted from the top. They drop, the panels light, then the back piece of each one slowly rises. The end product is a 16' tall tower on both sides of the stage.

The reveals line out as follows...

1. Stairs Light
2. Projections
3. 4 attractive male dancers in solid white tuxedos with silver glitter accents
4. Curtains drop
5. Towers Light
6. Towers Rise
7. Quickchange at the top of the stairs. (we're using the one from Cinderella that they showed on the Tonys this year)

The phrase I used in one of our production meetings was, "The judges will be using the score sheets to wipe the sh** out of their pants"
To top off the whole giant adventure, we only have 2 1/2 minutes to set up and 2 1/2 minutes to break down. Any more time results in big point deductions.
Typed this out on another thread. I wish I had a video of the production, but I was backstage pushing buttons and yelling into a headset.

Yes, they have started working on it... but it will be 5-10 years if not longer before it hits the stage. Traditionally Disney waits until the kids who watched the movie growing up has kids of their own to take to the show. I don't think any of us want to go to a Broadway show of 6 year olds in Elsa dresses. Save that for the parks.

along the same line, apparently Disney is going to be releasing a show soon of Frozen done in the Disney on ice style. They've also added frozen to a number of shows currently out. People get stuck on the magic effects she has rather than the story. If its anything like the on ice version there will be a few effects but most of them able to be accomplished with standard snow machines (think her waving her hands while a spot then zooms up from her hands into the air (to black out just before curtain line, cue sound effect, and snow falls from ceiling). Probably some automated scenery moving in during dance pieces (with a snow like texture) for actors to dance on and seem to appear by magic.

When Disney does magic they make the stage magic rather than the actor or actress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back